Consensus on FD oil change? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2009, 6:36 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Consensus on FD oil change?

What's the consensus on how many miles between final drive oil changes?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2009, 6:48 pm
Veteran

I have done mine with every oil change, (5 -7k miles running Mobil Synthetic)....did it at 600 miles too. In fact, seems I do tires, oil, and FD at the same time now. Some say it's too often, I say it's a 15 minute inexpensive insurance policy. 34k and no problems with the rear end. Knock on wood.....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:25 pm
Veteran

My first was at 1500 miles. Gray and gooey.

Second was about 12,000 miles further and Blackstone tagged it with too much stuff (iron and chromium). Wheel doesn't have any play...yet. It too was also gray and gooey with a bit of fuzz on the magnetic plug that I installed (BMW didn't install this on first '06's). They recommended no more than 7,000 miles before the next change and submission. I may do it sooner 2,000-3,000 miles just to see what comes out. Hopefully not as bad - maybe?

I suspect Robert is right: 6-7k miles after the first 600 would be a good idea. If my memory is correct, I believe BMW never did clarify what if any changes were to be made after the 600 miler?

I might even suggest a first 300 miler if possible just to flush any machining crap out of it. BMW had some additives (moly?) in the mix that gave it that gray color. I wouldn't be too partial to the suck-it-out-via-a-tube method for fear of residual material being left behind.

Those guys whose final drive oil comes out straw or red-colored (BMW/Spectrol) really bug me!

Fwiw, on some forum (ibmr?) there was a mileage poll of when they fail. If the drive makes it beyond 60,000 miles it may never fail. My '96 RT ran up to 100K and never was replaced. Come to think of it, it's oil always came out pretty clear too (Mobile 1 gear oil). I changed it every 6,000 miles back then and I often thought it was too much as it was always so clear. It had a drain plug too.

Anyway, a lot of final's in the poll crapped out at 8-15K, and another group - and some subsequent - goes out around 33K. Chances are 1 in 6 that it will fail and it seems to be BMW's Achilles's Heel - not great odds, but BMW seems to live with that. And I believe 4 drives died in the 2007 IBR too. I believe your chances of it not starting at all are probably much greater (e.g. battery, switches, electrical gremlins).

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2009, 8:00 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I had two FD's replaced on my '07: one at just over 18K and the next at just over 29K.

Hoping that if I change the oil more often I'll avoid a repeat. Might not make any diff, but it could be cheap insurance against it going out in the middle of nowhere.

You would think that since it is BMW's dime up to 36K, and the lousy PR that they are getting, that they would figure this one out and give us some guidlines.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2009, 8:40 am
Veteran

These things shouldn't be dying as soon as they do. They now claim the drivelines are lifetime lubricated (Yeah. Sure.) on the '09's. Heard that one before on splines on the R bikes dry clutched engines.

The things should run forever. I've made my own drain plug from some high-guass rare earth magnet from Radio Shack for $2 and will test the strength against the BMW stock one. Hope it sucks more iron out of the oil. Too bad very few of us get to see the insides of when it blows before it's wisked away to Germany from the dealer.

Still, if your final is dumping out grayish colored goo, I'd be concerned no matter how often you change it. Seems a transparent straw or red color is good. Opaque is bad.

What's worse, seems the replacements are tanking as fast as the ones they replaced. Get one and then another goes bad? Death ratio of 1:6 makes this even worse. That's just BAD!

I've contemplated going back to old 75w-90 dino oil and a bit of the old STP oil additive just for added extra slipperiness. That stuff coated everything with a film (auto parts sstores used to have those little turn-the-crank gears with and without the stuff for you to visually see the coating. I recall their old TV "Hold onto this screwdriver tip" commercial and it was impossible to do with the mix. Dunno. Someone must have a permanent fix.

BMW AG will be forever mum on the subject.

Mack
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2009, 2:34 pm

I change mine every 12K miles. Approaching 104,000 miles - no problems with the FD to this point.

2007 K1200GT
IBA#31809
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2009, 8:47 am

FD oil

There seems to be some discussion over whether the final drive on the GT drops down 90 degrees to drain. Some say it does others say it only goes so far. Last time mine was done by the dealer. I plan on doing all service work myself from now on. So... will it drop or do I suck it out?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2009, 8:57 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_C
.... I plan on doing all service work myself from now on. So... will it drop or do I suck it out?
It'll drop. At least mine does easily enough.

I just change my FD oil every tire change, which is about 6-7K.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2009, 9:00 am
Addict-oholic

I owned my 06 for 3 years and finally did it last month. I watched the mechanic do it and it looked grayish with a few specks floating in an emulsion.

The new owner of my 10,ooo mile bike with brand new rubber, the 12K service done and the bike spiffed up should enjoy it. I traded it in on the 2009, so I will not hopefully have to worry about HI & BBS ( these were pretty much solved with the new airbox 2 seasons ago). I just could not take the flat spot at 2900 to 3500 as I am coming out of a corner accelerating with hesitation!!

Plus, I got a good deal and the dealer is installing the farkles this time around!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2009, 9:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo
It'll drop. At least mine does easily enough.

I just change my FD oil every tire change, which is about 6-7K.

Thanks. Fore-warned is fore-armed... or not in this case!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode