TPX Install - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2009, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

TPX Install

Hi members,

I just installed an Adaptiv TPX radar/laser detector on my K1200GT, and thought I would share some pictures.

Here is some background. I'm a big fan of RAM mounting systems (to keep things simple on multiple bikes) so when the bike was new, I installed some Helibar bar backs and then installed a couple of RAM balls on them that I use for the Zumo and sometimes just for my iPod and/or camera. Then earlier this year I bought the mirror mounts from our member PerfectSwitch. They work great as well.

Last weekend, I tore all the tupperware of the bike for the umteenth time to mount all the radar detector electrics under the skins. I really like the Adaptiv "visual alert" piece with the 3 bright LEDs. It fits perfect and stealthy under the air deflector under the windscreen.

Here are the handlebars with all the RAM mounts in place.

Here is a picture of one of PerfectSwitch's mirror mounts with a RAM ball also.

And here is another view of the bars and mounts.

Here is the TPX mounted on the left mirror mount. It's not in the way at all and stays behind the winscreen.

Here is a side view. I tied the wiring harness directly to the battery (for now) and stuffed the complete wiring outputs down the left side between the gas tank and the hardware in front of it. I forgot to take pictures under the skins, but there is a connector for a "visual alert", an auxillary audio output - that could be an Autocomm or their own wireless headset, and another for a future rear laser detector.

From above and below, you can see that I ran the connector from the detector up the left side channel and left enough slack that it has enough to turn the bars, AND wrap around the bars when the detector is not on board.

I attached the "visual alert" LEDs on top of the instrument cluster itself (not the shield in front of it), and drilled out the center relief so the plug for the LEDs could drop down and come back up when needed.

When the air deflector and windscreen are put back on, this is what it looks like.

And this is how bright the LEDs appear when it flashes at you. In this position it can get your attention.

This is what it looks like from a true rider's position.

So far I am very happy with its performance and ease of connection and disconnection.
I'll let you know if it saves me some time. So far just getting blips in town and at the red light locations is keeping me honest.

Last edited by Rainman; May 8th, 2009 at 4:38 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2009, 5:40 pm
Enthusiast

Nice post Brian. Let us know how it works on the open road. I'm thinking about one.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Lights?

Very nice, very clean install - man, you really DO like RAM mounts, don't you!?

So one thing - tell us about the lights and mounts you're using under the mirrors.

That looks like a hot setup.

Mike

'08 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2009, 8:36 am
Enthusiast

They are called "Jimmy Mounts" and are sold by Denver BMW. I think they are about 150 bucks a set. They are very solid and work extremely well with PIAA or Trailtech. I love mine!

Here is a link: http://www.bmwofdenver.com/eshopprod...GT_Light_M.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0063.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	10276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0065.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1,022.1 KB
ID:	10277   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0067.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	10278  

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871

Last edited by abercrombie_pafoofnick; May 10th, 2009 at 8:54 am.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2009, 10:49 am
Veteran

Nice write up dude. Are you planning on using the audio alert too? I keep thinking about one of these but don't want to have to bother with mixing the audio from my Zumo and it. Maybe though. Let us know how it works and if you react in time with just the visual alert.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2009, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks guys.
To answer a couple of questions. The thought is, I think my eye is faster than the ear, and when I'm listening to tunes, it will take longer to distinguish the audio than simply seeing a very bright flashing light right in my eyes, so I am first trying the visual alert first. It seems to work very well, and When I am lazy or want to take a break from other audio stimulation, the light is right there all the time.

About Zumo audio vs. the audio alert, I have an Autocomm Active-Rider that has yet to be installed, but I am hoping to find the right mix of bluetooth phone, Zumo or iPod audio, radar detector, and bike-to-bike radio inputs so it all works with the right priority and volume for all these. Thanks to somebody's recommendation on this forum, I bought a set of Live Wires custom fit in-the-ear monitors for what I think is a very reasonable price, and they tremendously cut down on irritating wind noise so I will continue to wear them while mixing what makes it to my ears.

Yup, I do like RAM mounts and have them on all three bikes, so its simple to move components at will, or move them out of temptation when taking a break or staying overnight. Also, I have them on my kayak for GPS, water bottle, fishing pole, etc. I don't think I'll need the radar detector for that purpose , but they also allow me to use the detector and GPS in the SUV when needed.

To those who want to see one more PIAA installation, I'll post a few pics for you as well with my own tips sometime soon.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2009, 8:23 pm
Veteran

Custom molded earphones are the only way to go.....or at least in ear noise canceling.

You might be interested in incorporating one of these too. Haven't tried it yet, but it's what I'll use if I add the TPX. I'm just not sure I'd react quick enough to the LED's even in line of sight. Maybe if they are real bright. However this unit seems like I could incorporate the audio and not have to worry about it. Has an auto over ride for the the radar unit.

http://www.mixitproducts.com/

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2009, 11:18 pm
Noob

TPX and other Farkels on K1300GT

Great post to help mount the TPX. I thought the K1300GT version would help as handle bar mounts for the K1200GT wont work as there is no hole for the post.

I found the best mount to be a Ztechnik Z6131 ZTechnik Accessory Mount; Handlebar Control Mount. This is sold for the K1200R but worked perfect for the left side clutch mount.

Unit works great, very few false alerts on "noX" mode. I find the visual to work the best for me, it is easy to notice.

I put on some other farkles for the GT fans out there. The Garmin 550 works very well with the Ztechnik Center mount for the K1200GT (K1300 is the same)

I've demo'ed the Sport boards, Shift extender, and kickstand plate made by Ilium Works on the New GT (I live in the same town as the fabrication plant) - All the same as the K1200GT on their web site. I have found the boards to be very comfortable on long rides as it gives the legs a bit less of a bend.

Hope this helps any body out there riding the "rocket with side bags"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00733.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	10284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00719.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	10285   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00726.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	10286   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00731.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	10287   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00729.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	10288  

Johngvca

Current Rides:
12 K1600GT
12 F800GS Trophy
04 R1150R
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 7:56 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman
I just installed an Adaptiv TPX radar/laser detector on my K1200GT, and thought I would share some pictures.

Thanks Brian. Under "Accesories" in the HoW.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 11:54 am

both audio and visual

I'm using both. My communication is in one ear and the radar is in the other. I also have the visual as belt and suspenders. Works great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode