What's different between Version I and Version II switches in the 2009 K1300GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2009, 10:25 am Thread Starter
Veteran

What's different between Version I and Version II switches in the 2009 K1300GT?

Now that BMW has admitted (indirectly) that the switchgear was faulty in the first run of switchgear on the K1300's causing permanent no starts or occasional ones, anyone know exactly what was addressed?

Were both sides changed or just right or left and "How can one tell?"

I'd guess that bikes now made after a May date would or should have the new switchgear, or will BMW AG keeping putting on the bad switchgear in hopes it might work (not unlike their crummy final drives for the last decade)?

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2009, 10:37 am
Addict-oholic

Hopefully, they only release the first batch of bikes with potentially defective switches. I picked up my new bike ueserday and subjected them to a lot of cycle before I left the shop. I have already washed the bike after a hard 100 mile ride home. They still work.

Hopefully, this defect was in a very short run in the assembly process

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 6:56 am

On mine, both sides failed. When Touring Sport BMW In Greenville SC bailed me out, they replaced both with switches off a bike on showroom floor. The left one did not solve problems. The right one worked. Manhattan BMW has replaced the left switch again, and says it works. But they are _still_ waiting for shipment of new batch of right switches from BMW. So I cannot provide any additional info.
Don Goldberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 8:05 am
Addict-oholic

I am going to give my new bike a "bath" later this week. Maybe the first generation switches fail due to water corrosion. ( I have no clue as to what generation switches I have except my build date was December. I intend to do a lot of riding this week as I am already set up for my 600 mile service a week tomorrow...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 8:16 am
Addict

Here we go again, before you know it someone will post a TSB listing build dates, and Vin numbers.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 10:19 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongold
On mine, both sides failed. When Touring Sport BMW In Greenville SC bailed me out, they replaced both with switches off a bike on showroom floor. The left one did not solve problems. The right one worked. Manhattan BMW has replaced the left switch again, and says it works. But they are _still_ waiting for shipment of new batch of right switches from BMW. So I cannot provide any additional info.
Don Goldberg
Don, both sides are or will be replaced TWICE?

Have you heard from either dealer said why or what is the issue with them since? Are contacts just not making, burning, or wire loom issues?

I can see an issue that the one they took off the switchgear on the showroom floor could have been first-run (faulty), but still. To have it yet replaced again is a phenomenal failure rate (two out of two, even stock, is pretty poor QC). At least they are jumping on it quicker than the final drive failure issues of the past decade throughout the line.

Maybe the old "hard-to-understand" switchgear motojournalists had issues with wasn't so bad after all. As if final drives pooping out on the road wasn't bad enough, just turning one of these 09's loose in the Iron Butt Rally and watching it implode will be hard to swallow.

Sad part is I've been contemplating getting one since my final drive is speaking to me - and not in a good way. To have two items that may leave me stranded is beyond any selling point now. Maybe a 2010 model....maybe. I dunno.

Mack

Last edited by GMack; May 11th, 2009 at 10:30 am.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Noob

Switches......

My 1300-GT left turn signal and hazzard light switch failed this weekend. Could be that I rode in the rain a week ago. My dealer has ordered (and hopefully will replace) the switch panel on the left side. I've asked for the right switch to be replaced, but it looks like they want to wait until it fails.... or I'm stranded. So far, it's a minor incovenience. Under the wrong circumstances, it could be a whole lot more stressful and impact my attitude about this great bike.

A ship in a harbor is a safe ship... but that is not what a ship is built for.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 7:57 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200shoe
My 1300-GT left turn signal and hazzard light switch failed this weekend. Could be that I rode in the rain a week ago. My dealer has ordered (and hopefully will replace) the switch panel on the left side. I've asked for the right switch to be replaced, but it looks like they want to wait until it fails.... or I'm stranded. So far, it's a minor incovenience. Under the wrong circumstances, it could be a whole lot more stressful and impact my attitude about this great bike.
When was your bike built? My new 1300GT picked up on saturday, has a build date of Dec 2008. I am planning on giveing it a good wash this week and douse the switches real hard. If there is a problem, I want it taken care of ASAP. I am planning some long rides and I d ont want to be stranded...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 5:03 am
Veteran

My '06 had the left switch gear fail while riding in the rain. The left turn signal would not cancel. It was very frustrating and a little dangerous. The dealer provided a replacement switch I have yet to install myself.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 6:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Don, both sides are or will be replaced TWICE?

Have you heard from either dealer said why or what is the issue with them since? Are contacts just not making, burning, or wire loom issues?

I can see an issue that the one they took off the switchgear on the showroom floor could have been first-run (faulty), but still. To have it yet replaced again is a phenomenal failure rate (two out of two, even stock, is pretty poor QC). At least they are jumping on it quicker than the final drive failure issues of the past decade throughout the line.

Maybe the old "hard-to-understand" switchgear motojournalists had issues with wasn't so bad after all. As if final drives pooping out on the road wasn't bad enough, just turning one of these 09's loose in the Iron Butt Rally and watching it implode will be hard to swallow.

Sad part is I've been contemplating getting one since my final drive is speaking to me - and not in a good way. To have two items that may leave me stranded is beyond any selling point now. Maybe a 2010 model....maybe. I dunno.

Mack
The left switch cluster had to be replaced a second time for two reasons: (1) 1st replacement did not solve problem, and (2) it was not the right switch for my bike, i.e. did not have the anti-skid function

The right switch is being replaced a second time because, I assume, BMW told the dealer that it was appropriate to do so. I can only assume that there is a well recognized problem , now, with the early switches, and since I had the failure, they want to make sure I have one that is supposed to be "corrected." ? The 1st replacement seemed to be working for me. Maybe it failed while at the dealer? Don't know.

It just sounds to me as if we are in a "pre-recall" or "unofficial recall" situation.

I am now told that it has come in, been installed, and the bike is ready for me to pick up. (Of course, as fate would have it, I'm getting ready to leave town, so will not be able to get it until next week<g>.)

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode