Considering 'new' 12GT SE - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 7:38 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Considering 'new' 12GT SE

Hi All

I've been offered a good Pex on my 07 K12GT against a pre reg 09.

There are 2 09s on offer, one 'standard' SE and one with ASC and Tyre Pressure Monitors at an additional cost of 200.

Are these 2 gadgets worth the extra dosh or are the a potential PITA (pain in the a**e)

All opinions appreciated especially those from people with these extras.

Cheers

Mike

It's not where you go that counts, it's how you get there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2009, 9:08 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker0_0
Hi All

I've been offered a good Pex on my 07 K12GT against a pre reg 09.

There are 2 09s on offer, one 'standard' SE and one with ASC and Tyre Pressure Monitors at an additional cost of 200.

Are these 2 gadgets worth the extra dosh or are the a potential PITA (pain in the a**e)

All opinions appreciated especially those from people with these extras.

Cheers

Mike
I have both ASC and TPM on my 2007 K1200GT.

For me, the TPM is a real timesaver and worth the 200 quid by itself. I would not want a bike without it. No more unscrewing caps, attaching the angle fitting to the one tire, losing air every time I check, and not knowing. Furthermore, it gave me an early warning when I took a nail in the rear tire. Now, I get on and ride, checking the air pressure as I go. I stop to add air when the tires actually need it, which can be a couple weeks apart. Really.

The ASC is more debatable. As others have said, if it saves you once, then it was probably worth it. I have seen it activate less than a handful of times. In those cases, it wasn't needed because the slippery patch was so brief, but I can imaging scenarios where I will be glad to have it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 9:31 am
Rookie

After getting a quick flat and almost wrecking my other bike in a corner, TPM was a must-have on my GT. TPM would give an early warning of the pressure loss.

I also like the ASC. I use my bike to commute often, and have had it kick on in the rain several times on slick surfaces (leaves, tar, etc). I don't know for sure that I would have wrecked without it, but it definitely does its job (well).

Both worth the money IMO.

2008 K1200GT
2005 FZ1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 10:11 am

Hey Mike,

Long Answer

Let me get this straight....you are going to drop about 10K on the the K12 and you are questioning 200 quid?

Mate, you will consider yourself lucky to get these farkels so cheap once you start with the REAL farkels...200 quid is drop on a hot stone

Short Answer
+1 with the OP's.

Cheers,

Bloke
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 11:55 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBloke
Hey Mike,

Long Answer

Let me get this straight....you are going to drop about 10K on the the K12 and you are questioning 200 quid?

Mate, you will consider yourself lucky to get these farkels so cheap once you start with the REAL farkels...200 quid is drop on a hot stone

Short Answer
+1 with the OP's.

Cheers,

Bloke
Hi BB

I'm not questioning the money, but I seem to remember that BMW had problems with the Tyre Pressure Monitors a couple of years ago. I've also heard (from a BM mechanic) that changing the tyres can be more difficult and can result in a damaged sensor.

One the other hand, the early warning of a puncture is very useful especially after my rear end of my (now sold) 1200GS almost overtook me due to a big nail and a VERY rapid deflation.

Mike

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2009, 1:14 pm
IBR# 366

Yes, the ASC and TPM are worth it. The minor downside of telling your tire changer to watch out for the sensors (he should be staying away from the valve stems anyway) is trivial compared to getting an instant warning when you do have a problem. Twice now I've had the TPM go off early enough to get to the side of the road safely before the tire went dangerously flat. I won't own a bike without some sort of TPM system on it from now on.

And twice I've had the ASC kick in when I hit a slick spot, and the bike just settled in nicely. No fuss, no bother, which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

So yes, these two features do work as expected and are well worth the small additional cost.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 11:40 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all your advice.

I now await the delivery of my new 12 with TPM etc.

The deciding thought was that the TPM is like ABS, well worth the money even if you only use it once.

Best wishes

Mike

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 12:02 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker0_0
Thanks for all your advice.

I now await the delivery of my new 12 with TPM etc.

The deciding thought was that the TPM is like ABS, well worth the money even if you only use it once.

Best wishes

Mike
It is a looooooong wait.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode