This is just sad....biker in my town - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 6:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

This is just sad....biker in my town

rides one of these:

He's an older in shape gent. Biker boots, blue jeans, leather vest with chains, proverbial long sleeve t-shirt and a doo rag....oh has the white beard and mustache too.

Oh I know there are health or physical reasons that one may have but this guy looks perfectly fine. Why would one be such a poser like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 6:11 pm
Rookie

Shoot me. I think both the bike and the dude is pretty cool!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 6:15 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefield
Shoot me. I think both the bike and the dude is pretty cool!
Yeah, I'd have to agree. I think those look pretty fun myself! I've seen a few here around Dallas and I have to admit that the word poser didn't cross my mind. I didn't realize life was a contest I guess.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 6:33 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Well here in Yuppie land there are types that buy the HD and ride a whole 10 miles to a coffee shop on Sunday, all dressed up in their biker outfits.

I've been riding 35 years and the media always thinks of the outlaws or these types rather than real riders when reporting. Just erks me some.

A co-worker asked me yesterday if I had ever been over Tioga Pass (Yosemite), well hell yeah many times. He planned on trailering his Goldwing over there to ride the pass.
I told him yeah try the Shell station at MonoLake for lunch (gourmet chef)...he said you went there for lunch? heck yeah that was our first stop.
Biker....ha! no a poser. Contest or not.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Veteran

Yeah well I'd like 2 of them please. One for me and the misses. It would be a sure fire way to over come her "balance the bike at slow speed" problems and to get her off the back of my GT for good, ..........and it looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Enthusiast

I've seen 2 of them around the Charlotte area and even talked to one rider briefly while at a stoplight. He was young, probably about 25 or so. I thought it looked kinda funny, but fun to ride. At least it's not a scooter.

'03 K1200GT

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 9:04 pm
Noob

Good luck missing a pothole with that contraption
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2009, 9:33 pm
Noob

I did the Spyder Demo Ride last Nov in CA. Having ridding snowmobiles for years I thought I would like the Spyder. Turns out it is not something I would ever ride. The fact that it leans out in corners is tough to get used to. I thought it would be fairly quick and it wasn't. I personally will stick to 2 wheels. maybe someday I will choose a 3 wheeler.
I do see more and more on the road.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 6:04 am
Addict

I dont mind what you call me if you wanna drop one of those into my garage. It looks like fun.
From the way you described the rider that you saw he probably wasnt a biker but one of the Village People!

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 8:54 am

I think anybody who rides one of those is the opposite of a poseur.

Poseurs are those who try to appear as one of a certain crowd (IE Harley "bikers") to gain acceptance into (or a perceived relationship with) that group. This is typified by the accountant who plays outlaw gang dress-up and hangs around in bars. He may or may not have even gotten to the bar on a bike!

Considering the abuse heaped upon people who ride these things by some "bikers" (and car drivers too for that matter), you have to ride one because you want to, not for the attention. So, non-poseur... Strongly so.

Is he a "poseur" as a biker? Well, considering the thing really isn't a bike, I'd think not.

So, more power to him. But do I want one. No? Aspects of a two-wheeled bike (leaning into corners, shifting gears, the compact size) are all big attractions to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode