k1200gt throttle "twitchiness" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

k1200gt throttle "twitchiness"

I've got 5000 miles on my 2008 GT. No problems with flat spots, high idle or stalling. However, the throttle is horrible - it's on or off. Turn it, nothing, turn it some more, nothing, and then bang, it's like 100% acceleration. Driving in traffic of any sort is very difficult. I've read many threads here and on other forums and can't determine if this is just the design or if this is a problem. Many complain about it in connection with the other airbox related problems, but I don't have any of those. Is this just how it is or is there something wrong? If it's just how it is, has anyone found a good way to address it? This bike is completely stock, other than a GPS and bar risers. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 7:02 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtogt
I've got 5000 miles on my 2008 GT. No problems with flat spots, high idle or stalling. However, the throttle is horrible - it's on or off. Turn it, nothing, turn it some more, nothing, and then bang, it's like 100% acceleration. Driving in traffic of any sort is very difficult. I've read many threads here and on other forums and can't determine if this is just the design or if this is a problem. Many complain about it in connection with the other airbox related problems, but I don't have any of those. Is this just how it is or is there something wrong? If it's just how it is, has anyone found a good way to address it? This bike is completely stock, other than a GPS and bar risers. Thanks!
Mine ('06) began acting up yesterday and very twitchy, but it's called BBS here sometimes.
The Sparks, NV dealer said today that the airbox changeouts by BMW began in 12-2007. Depends probably on your bike's "made" date as well as a software change.

However, most all BMW's have a sudden on-off throttle. Some take out the slack saying it helps, but I don't know. My old RT did it as well too.

Mack
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

It has the new airbox and latest software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 7:25 pm
Veteran

Do you notice a difference when the bike is at operating temp vs rather cold? What I mean is, is it better or worse if you started the bike cold and then within the first 5 minutes of riding vs more than 5 minutes of riding (temp gauge starting to register some bars)
Gilly
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Nope - it's always this way. First start up riding through the neighborhood, to the end of the ride after many miles.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2009, 12:07 am
Veteran

Have you tried a throttle reset? I think it's ignition on> wide open and closed 3 times then ignition off. Some one here can correct that if it's wrong. I did it once a long time ago before my new air box. How about adjusting the cable?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2009, 4:10 am
Veteran

I agree something should be tried and not just accepted. Reason I asked prior question is that mine is a bit, oh I would call it "sensitive" when cold, after about 5 minutes or I get a few bars of temp showing on the gauge it settles down a bit. STILL need to use a lot of restraint on the grip, a reflection of me going from about 60 hp (K75) to 152 hp.
Gilly
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2009, 7:35 am
Rookie

This doesn't really get at the root of the problem, but I find that if I ride with two fingers on the brake lever (not riding the brakes - just resting against the lever), I can ride a sensitive throttle a little more smoothly because my hand has the brake lever assembly as a pivot point making it easier to dial in a smidge of additional throttle. Of course, if it's totally on/off that won't be enough, but it might help a little until the fueling issue is resolved.

I started doing this on my R1150R to deal with a sensitive throttle, and it helped. It also shortened my braking reaction time since my fingers were already right there & two fingers are plenty on that bike as well as the 1300GT.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2009, 8:24 am

I too had a similar problem on my 08 GT. After about 8500 miles, while working around it, I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of play in the throttle. I adjusted the cable tension, taking most of the play out, but make sure that the idle was not increased. This seemed to have cured almost all of the sudden acceleration issues I was having, especially noticeable when making 90 degree right turns.

But still need to remember, this engine is explosive and awesome. Use the throttle gently.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2009, 1:09 pm

I agree, I had taken care of most of my bbs by adjusting the cables. I just had the aribox and a bunch of other stuff done to her over winter and the touchy throttle was back first ride out. I had to adjust the throttle 2 times to get it right. Now it runs a lot better.
I still don't know why they never upgraded my software with the air box change out?. I am going to question that next trip to the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode