New lower final drive fluid amount- substantiated? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2009, 5:41 pm Thread Starter
Addict

New lower final drive fluid amount- substantiated?

I read here a couple weeks ago that BMW is now calling for 180 cc in the final drives instead of 220 cc. Has this been substantiated? Can someone produce or quote the bulletin number?

Thanks-

B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 8:29 am

See my 2nd post on the thread.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...1&page=2&pp=10

Post 20.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 6:28 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_C
See my 2nd post on the thread.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...1&page=2&pp=10

Post 20.
So, is this is a reprint of a REPROM procedure, or a BMW bulletin?. I see the date is 5/2009, and a designation on the graphics as "K40"... Aren't GT's "K44"'s? What I'm trying to get at is EXACTLY where this came from...

Thanks-

D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 3:27 am

The service desk at my BMW dealer printed it off and gave me a copy when I bought some oil, filters, O-rings etc. Hence the folds visible from stuffing it in my jacket pocket.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2009, 9:24 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Anyone have the latest RepROM for K1200GT?

I don't have the latest, probably the original. I'm trying to find out if the latest that covers the '06 states a different final drive fluid level than 220 ml. I am trying to establish if the above mentioned .PDF covers my '06. I'd hate to be the fiirst to drain 40 ml of fluid and burn up my drive by TRYING to do the right thing.

Thanks-

B.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2009, 6:41 am
IBR# 366

I have the original RepRom, so no help there.

But I have been researching the final drive upgrades. The part fiches online at www.realoem.com now cover both the K12 and K13 bikes. That (along with some detailed BMW technical literature) shows that there has been a redesign of the FD housing, gear set, input bearings, and a new two-stage drive shaft. I've heard that the gear set is "larger" although it still has the same teeth and therefore ratio.

Perhaps this redesigned gear set and housing is the reason for the change in gear oil quantity? If so, it would probably be for the '09 drives only.

I wish we had a decent BMW contact instead of all this wild guessing.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2009, 8:34 am

So... 8 teaspoons difference from a total (220) of 44, less than 20%. Significant but, considering the environment it's in?? I can't see any indication on the sheets it's only for K1300's. The guy who passed it on has my trust and checked my bike details on his computer before he gave me the sheets.
I guess 200ml would be a compromise.
Finally managed to get my hands on a cartridge of Honda Moly60 for the splines, that took a bit of tracking down over here! £14 with postage.
Probably going to change the FD along with the engine oil in 2/3 weeks. Got a new Lambda sensor too. Fun, fun, fun!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:13 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_C
...Probably going to change the FD along with the engine oil in 2/3 weeks. Got a new Lambda sensor too. Fun, fun, fun!!!
Don't forget to change the cam chain tensioner too if you don't have it already. Helped to quiet mine down a lot. If you look closely downward from the 11 o'clock position on the right side above the clutch line, you can barely see the black can of the tensioner and a slight cutout of the black foam that encircles it halfway. If all you see is silver, it's old school.

Had to buy mine on my own dime ($120) since dealer said "It was normal for up to 10 seconds worth of noise." Not in my book!

Mack
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2009, 2:53 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Called my dealer-

These are the changes/recommendations under the following PUMA-

All final drives, all applicable BMW models, years 2005, and up

BMW PUMA US23342824-01
Title: Increased Wear in the Rear Wheel Drive

Point 1:
Increased temperature and pressure:
Initial Factory Fill: 200 ml
All other Refills: 180 ml
*No mention of viscosity change or recommendation

Point 2:
Increased Wear: Now change every 12,000 miles or 2 years
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 5:32 pm
Noob

I was at a tech nite last week at Ventura BMW. They were performing a 24,000 mile service on a 2006 GS-1200. Same final drive as the GT, through 08 at least. Not only did they make a point that the amount of fluid is now 180 ml they also change the fluid every 12,000 miles. A slight change from the original lifetime final drive fluid new model announcement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode