Review in June Rider Magazine - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2009, 8:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Review in June Rider Magazine

Anyone else seen the more-or-less full review in June Rider? I just noticed it in passing while grabbing a coffee at Borders this afternoon. Should've picked it up, but the line was too long.

Basically it was a very positive review - they found everything improved over the K1200GT & finally gave the bike a strong overall verdict. They did say the transmission was improved but still required purposeful shifting. I was a little surprised by the dyno results - I think it was 145 rear-wheel horsepower give or take a hp or two - pretty impressive number. I'm still on the run-in schedule, so I have no first-hand opinion, other than "it's a rocket".

Although the review was quite positive I thought, the writer says he still prefers the RT.

Then again, the two bikes are so different they are almost a different breed completely - it's like "brilliant bike, but I still like my Harley". I can understand that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 4:26 pm
Addict

Was this the one that was subtitled something like that it was such a great bike becasue they changed so little?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgundel
Anyone else seen the more-or-less full review in June Rider? I just noticed it in passing while grabbing a coffee at Borders this afternoon. Should've picked it up, but the line was too long.

Basically it was a very positive review - they found everything improved over the K1200GT & finally gave the bike a strong overall verdict. They did say the transmission was improved but still required purposeful shifting. I was a little surprised by the dyno results - I think it was 145 rear-wheel horsepower give or take a hp or two - pretty impressive number. I'm still on the run-in schedule, so I have no first-hand opinion, other than "it's a rocket".

Although the review was quite positive I thought, the writer says he still prefers the RT.

Then again, the two bikes are so different they are almost a different breed completely - it's like "brilliant bike, but I still like my Harley". I can understand that

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 9:10 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Was this the one that was subtitled something like that it was such a great bike becasue they changed so little?
No - but Bike magazine did do a "first ride" which went just like that - they said more than once that the 1300GT is a great bike, not so much because of the new stuff - the 1200GT was always a great bike. By the way, Bike is a great magazine. Too bad you have to pay an arm and a leg to get it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2009, 12:26 pm

Could someone post the horsepower/torque numbers from the review and also mention whether they were corrected numbers - SAE, STD, etc?

I know that there are copyright issues with posting a scan and whatnot, however, a scan would be nice if someone could post a location to one or whatnot.

I have searched a few places around town and cannot seem to find this mag.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 9:01 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonroe
Could someone post the horsepower/torque numbers from the review and also mention whether they were corrected numbers - SAE, STD, etc?

I know that there are copyright issues with posting a scan and whatnot, however, a scan would be nice if someone could post a location to one or whatnot.

I have searched a few places around town and cannot seem to find this mag.
The full report is online now: full report

HP = 145.3 @9400 Torque = 89.1 @8000
No mention of testing conditions.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 7:35 pm
Rookie

That is a pretty good review. It seems they liked it quite a bit. Those Dyno numbers are also very nice. That means there is only a 9 to 10% drive-line loss, which is think is definitely on the low side which is good.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 8:10 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgundel
...Although the review was quite positive I thought, the writer says he still prefers the RT.
I saw that too and was sort of surprised by it. Then too, BMW has had more than a decade in refining the RT as well than the latest K44 series. I noted in the RealOEM fiches, they do a new production run of the RT every month so it must be a best seller.

Bob Tuttle of Rider wasn't as keen on the K1300 suspension either as it was harsher on bumps to him than the K1200. Dunno.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode