Asc - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Asc

on the K1300GT, is it possible to disable just the ASC via the onboard computer display?

When you do this, does it also disable the ABS?

I am going to be picking up my bike this week and I had a choice between a bike with ASC and TPM and one without, and I chose the one with both options... just wanted to get some thoughts on that selection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Addict-oholic

I am not sure if the ABS can be disabled. You made a good choice getting the ASC option. I actually got to use it this past weekend on a wet sweeping turn when I goosed the throttle a wee bit too much. Getting used to the bike, as I have 300 miles on it and expect to do at leat 3 or 4 hundred more this weekend.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 8:38 pm
IBR# 366

In my opinion, those are both good options to get. Both are relatively cheap, but add significant functionality/safety.

On the K12, there is a button to temporarily disable the ASC. I imagine the K13 would have the same button.

There isn't a button to disable the ABS on these bikes. But there is one on the GS bikes. I imagine if you found out which wire it grounds to disable the ABS, you might be able to rig something up for the GT, but so far no one I know has bothered with it. Honestly, it's such a tiny set of circumstances that you'd want to disable the ABS on a street bike that it doesn't seem worth the bother.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

I don't want to disable the ABS but I've read conflicting info via Google searches as fars as disabling ASC goes.

I just would like to know if the flexibility to temporarily disable ASC is there, should I want to do it, like for a track day or something...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Rookie

just curious, when you say you "got to use it". what happened. I rounded a sharp curve and accelerated, not very hard I though, and lowsided. Shouldn't ASC have helped there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I am not sure if the ABS can be disabled. You made a good choice getting the ASC option. I actually got to use it this past weekend on a wet sweeping turn when I goosed the throttle a wee bit too much. Getting used to the bike, as I have 300 miles on it and expect to do at leat 3 or 4 hundred more this weekend.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 9:05 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newGT
just curious, when you say you "got to use it". what happened. I rounded a sharp curve and accelerated, not very hard I though, and lowsided. Shouldn't ASC have helped there?
so what exactly is lowsided???
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Lowsided...

...lowsiding is when your cornering on a righthander and lose control thus returning to the dealer where the parts cost more 'cause you wipe out a k 1200/1300 muffler and bags...where as highsiding is falling the other way on a right hander and only wiping out the bags and sparing the muffler...
...does that help??

kbikeinbc
07 crystal grey met..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 9:25 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkingedout
so what exactly is lowsided???
"Lowsided" is when the tires slip out from under you and the bike slides on the ground ahead of you. The most common cause is probably grabbing a handful of front brake when leaned over. So newGT was expecting the ASC to stop the rear wheel from spinning quickly enough to avoid letting the rear end swing out and spill the bike.

"Highsided" is when the bike starts to lose grip, then suddenly regains grip & throws the rider over the top. It's much more spectacular (and dangerous) than a lowside. A common cause on the street is to lock up the rear brake, and then release the brake once the rear end swings around.

According to the manual, you cannot disable the ABS - just the ASC. The S and R versions do allow you to disable the ABS. The thinking at BMW apparently was that GT riders are unlikely to bring their bikes to the track, so there was no logical reason to provide that feature.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 9:30 pm
Rookie

boy, you nailed it with that explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbikeinbc
...lowsiding is when your cornering on a righthander and lose control thus returning to the dealer where the parts cost more 'cause you wipe out a k 1200/1300 muffler and bags...where as highsiding is falling the other way on a right hander and only wiping out the bags and sparing the muffler...
...does that help??

kbikeinbc
07 crystal grey met..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 1:58 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatrobeDude
I just would like to know if the flexibility to temporarily disable ASC is there, should I want to do it, like for a track day or something...
Yes. There is a button labeled ASC on the left handlebar. Press and hold it and the ASC is disabled (until you restart the bike). A warning also comes up on the dash so you know that it's disabled.

As for the ABS, I didn't know you could disable that on the S & R bikes. I knew that it was possible, but didn't realize BMW had put in that switch. At a track day makes sense, but I could have used that a couple of times when riding down some dirt/gravel/mud roads that I probably shouldn't have been on with the GT . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode