Help me decide between RT and GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 11:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Help me decide between RT and GT

Hello, I am in a quandry. For the past 6 months I have been trying to decide between keeping my 1200 RT or going to a 1200 GT 07 or newer model.
On a recent trip to Big Bend here in Texas I rode at 90 most of the way and for 15 miles on Interstate with 2 other bikes at 110 to 115 MPH. The bike was stable but the oil temp was creeping up in the 96 degree heat.
I know the GT has far more power and while that is great are there any other advantages to ownership versus the RT. The RT has greater cruising range and I believe a simpler maintenance schedule.
I am particularly interested in hearing from people that have experienced both bikes. There are lots of GT's out there with great prices so the move would be easy financially.

Is the riding position as comfortable on long distances, wind protection similar etc.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 11:56 am
Enthusiast

Rich,
Ride both of them and see which one makes you smile the most. I went from a R1200RT to a K1200GT and never looked back. The RT is a great sport touring bike but for me the GT is an awesome sport touring bike.

The Rt has a little more protection but is minimal. For me and I have a shoulder problem, the GT is more comfortable and I'm 5' 11".

The GT is a touch more head heavy in the tight twisties but is more stable and has a better feel especially at high speed.

The Rt gave me 50+ mpg and the GT around 40 mpg.

The smoothness and power is awesome.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide on and have fun. Both are great bikes.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 1:40 pm

I chose the GT

I've had an oilhead (R1150GS Adventure) and loved it. It wasn't the RT, but I think I have a pretty good handle on the difference. Pay attention to the engine charactoristics. I prefer the higher reving 4 cylinder to the two. Decide which engine charactoristics you prefer and make your decision. You'll love either one. I wasn't aware the mileage was that much better with the R, but I have no reason to doubt it. That could make a difference as well. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 3:27 pm
Enthusiast

Here's another opinion. I've had two RT's and one GT. Currently riding a K12S or a Triumph America, depending on my mood.

Comfort - I've toured with both. In stock form it would be the RT hands down. For me, comfort on the GT was fixed with a new seat and barbacks.

Wind Protection - RT, but GT not far behind. Several after-market windshields available for both models.

Ease of Maintenance / Maintenance Costs - RT, except when replacing a clutch. I've found the R series engines less expensive on routine maintenance than the K series.

Flickability and Low Speed Maneuvering - RT. For me, the touchy throttle on the GT made slow speed maneuvers a little more difficult than the RT. The RT was easier to flick around in tight twisties.

Performance and Fun Factor - GT hands down. To me, this is what motorcycling's all about. Both models put a smile on my face, but the GT kept it there.

As previously stated, these are just my opinions from my experience with ownership of these two models. I've also owned a couple of K12RS's, a couple of LT's and an FJR1300.

Everything depends on what makes you happy. Are you content with tooling around town in the practicality of a four door passenger car, or would you rather be sporting the blacktop with the performance of a sports car?

Mike

Last edited by mser; May 19th, 2009 at 3:34 pm.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 5:24 pm
Noob

RT vs. GT..................GT vs. RT...............????

I was in this very quandary several months ago. I live in a rural town in Nevada and on one of my many rides back to California on my 2006 R1200RT to visit family I test rode a new GT. A friend of mine owns a BMW dealer in the Southern California area and he let me take one of the GT's for a whole day. No doubt the motor is to die for (probably a bad use of words regarding motorcycles). After I returned the bike mid afternoon and getting back on the RT it felt like old home week. Decision made, I rode my RT back home, all was well,,,,,,, wrong, I could not get that motor out of my mind. In less than two weeks I was back on my RT heading to California, another half day on the GT, and I traded for 2008 GT and couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your decision, isn't this fun.................Bob
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 5:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

RT or GT

The hard part here is that the only test ride I can get is a few minutes around a limited circuit. My RT is comfortable, the power of the 4 cylinder on the GT I am sure is intoxicating.

I am ready to take the leap , now if I can only sell my bike.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2009, 8:18 pm
Noob

my experience has been with a 2002 rt1150 and a 2007 k1200 gt(current bike).
put 30k miles on the rt and have 16k miles on the gt. Both are great tourers and are comfortable for long hauls. The gt is much smoother, more powerful and has a dual personality - shift around 4000 to 5000 rpm and you have plenty of torque and rt like acceleration, shift above 7000 and you get the hold on tight sport bike acceleration!

you can't go wrong with either but I am really happy with the gt.

btw I have not found the gt to be more maintenance than the rt
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2009, 3:14 am

If you ride a lot in hot weather with the possiblity of getting stuck in traffic a water cooled engine may be the better choice.

Friday
'07 K 1200 GT Deep Blue Metallic
10 Harley Davidson Stree Glide FLHX
History: '74 Honda CB360, '78 Yamaha XS750SE, '02 K1200RS Pacific Blue

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want to do" - Calvin and Hobbes
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2009, 8:39 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madone59
Hello, I am in a quandry. For the past 6 months I have been trying to decide between keeping my 1200 RT or going to a 1200 GT 07
Or you could keep the RT and buy a new K1300s for a little variation and fun.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2009, 12:05 pm
Noob

I have an '07 GT and am thinking about going in the other direction. While I love the inline 4 of the GT, the ergonomics are getting to me. I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam and the GT's peg position is too far aft for my knees. After about 120 miles, I need to take a 10-15 minute break before I resume riding. But then I am good only for another 15-20 miles before I need to stop again. I tried a foot peg lowering kit, seat in the highest position and additional height with a seat pad, all to no avail. I would recommend if you have a long(ish) inseam, to try and take the GT for an extended ride before making your decision.

Other than that, it's a terrific bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode