Is that all BMW came out with? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2005, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Is that all BMW came out with?

So many talk, so many idea, so many suggestions from the fans and BMW came out with this new GT.
Well i do not know about you all but i am so happy they put the bike for show. they could not do any better job to show how ugly this bike is with that color. come on who will buy this color, it may be look good on the car but not on this bike for sure.
I have a 04 k1200 GT RED and i know BMW made only 100 of them, i love the color and the power of the GT, i am so glad to see bike in person because i was in market to get the new GT. when i saw the picture of new GT before the show, i did like it but after today, i thank BMW for saving my money.
This is a rush job and they will have a hard time to sell this bike around $21000 out the door. so simple and looks like they took the old bike, repaint and add bigger light.
Again this is just me but when i looked at the people @ the show i knew it that i am not the only one to feel that way.
But in other hand i loved the poice bike, looks great and so cool. i wish they would sale that to me and i would pay cash right there.
Marry Christmas to all of you

Last edited by simply; Dec 10th, 2005 at 11:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 4:01 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply
So many talk, so many idea, so many suggestions from the fans and BMW came out with this new GT.
Well i do not know about you all but i am so happy they put the bike for show. they could not do any better job to show how ugly this bike is with that color. come on who will buy this color, it may be look good on the car but not on this bike for sure.
I have a 04 k1200 GT RED ....
I'm sure these sort of posts cause a great big yawn at BMW. People who bought the old GT because of its fluid lines, are not going to be interested in the new one.

So what? BMW is not likely expecting people who recently bought the old GT, will be trading it in for the new one anyway. They are after new customers. Given that my local dealer is already pre-sold out of the new GTs for March-April delivery, it appears that SOMEONE thinks the bike is pretty good.

Bob.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFWILSON
I'm sure these sort of posts cause a great big yawn at BMW. People who bought the old GT because of its fluid lines, are not going to be interested in the new one.

So what? BMW is not likely expecting people who recently bought the old GT, will be trading it in for the new one anyway. They are after new customers. Given that my local dealer is already pre-sold out of the new GTs for March-April delivery, it appears that SOMEONE thinks the bike is pretty good.

Bob.
The question is, how many have they "pre-sold"? I don't think they'll sell many...just as they didn't sell many of the current generation. Why? Not because they aren't good bikes but they are damn expensive! With a list price (current gen and 06) of $25K + options + 14% taxes (in Canada) and you are looking at around $30,000. That's more then most people want to pay (or can afford to pay) for a motorcycle...old GT, new GT, or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincGT
… and you are looking at around $30,000. That's more then most people want to pay (or can afford to pay) for a motorcycle...old GT, new GT, or whatever.
That OTHER motorcycle company (HD) is selling a lot of motorcycles whose FINAL tally exceeds your figure when all the aftermarket chrome and leather goodies are added to the cost… so $30K is not all that excessive. Realistically, 20K (30K C$) is not that high a price, considering what you're getting for that "investment" as compared to that other brand.
Just my 2 pence.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 9:25 pm
Addict

50/50.....

Quote:

Bob.
Bob,

Not sure if what you're saying is based upon any kind of fact or not. If you read my post (http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1583) that contains a Product Bulletin from BMW for the new K1200GT you will find the following:

Section 2: Target groups
"Half of the future K 1200 GT riders are already loyal customers of our brand - primarily riders of the K 1100 LT, K 1200 RS, R 1150 RS and GT predecessors.

Our greatest challenge will be winning over the other fifty percent directly from other brands and models (mainly the FJR 1300 A). These new K 1200 GT customers are riders searching for a superior, comfortable, and dynamic experience."

I would say they really need to pay attention to what current owners are saying - if they are intending (by actual published reports) to target this bikes 50% towards current owners and 50% towards "other bike" owners......

alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 7:05 am
"Hey Y'all"

Quote:
.......... They are after new customers.
Since BMW removes more and more sport-tourig features with ever model, they better be after new customers. It's for sure they stand to loose a few existng ones. My 1985 K100RS weighed less than the new S, had underseat storage, TWO full bags, a tail rack, and great looks. My '94 K1100RS had all that and got 51 mpg !

Quote:
Given that my local dealer is already pre-sold out of the new GTs for March-April delivery, it appears that SOMEONE thinks the bike is pretty good.
BMW can sell 5,000 to 6,000 of anything as long as the roundel shows. K1 anyone?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 8:11 am

Wow, Some serious heated debate here...

Speaking as a current '02 RS owner, and as one of those that has already Pre-booked his 06'GT (First one in Town, I'm led to believe).. I think the Bike is Great!

Sure, the colour's not perfect.... but then those that have seen it agree it looks much better in person than in photos.... but the Blue looks peachy to me!

BMW has never shown it's full hand in one go.... it always ugly-downs the preliminary models, then gives them a face-lift during production cycle to spice it up again...

My bike has just hit the 40k mark, and is almost ready to move on to greener pastures. As far as I can tell so far, the new GT is better in all the repects I'm looking for...

Clearly, the proof will be in the riding... until then the conjecture will continue - just as Heated I presume...
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Veteran

I posted this somewhere else, recently.

At the local HD dealer: Screaming Eagle ElectraGlide (103 cu in), factory blinged with enough chrome to keep you busy polishing all week long, $33,000 plus tax, tag, title. These bikes usually sell almost immediately and rarely last more than a week! Legacy technology, oh, and a radio/CD player included.

$21,000 plus/minus for a bike GT's caliber is still a bargain! Being a new rider since Jun '03 doesn't give me much of a perspective of yesteryear but someone on one of the BMW sites quoted: "...the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle is often the rider."

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:50 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alowishus
I would say they really need to pay attention to what current owners are saying - if they are intending (by actual published reports) to target this bikes 50% towards current owners and 50% towards "other bike" owners......

alow
I agree in essence with what you are saying, but I think that the reaction of present GT owners is not a good gauge of whether that market segment (at some point down the road) would buy the new GT.

After all, as Miles clearly showed, the reaction to the old GT when it came out was nearly as negative as it is to the present GT! Yet now, the present GT is being held up as a paragon of beauty (which is is, in fact).

What it comes down to, I think, is that people don't like change, but they eventially warm up to it given time.

Bob.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:52 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABNFVR
BMW can sell 5,000 to 6,000 of anything as long as the roundel shows. K1 anyone?
Oink!

Bob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode