Just test rode a 1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:12 am Thread Starter

Just test rode a 1200GT

Just back from riding a 2006 1200GT SE. My current ride is a R1150 GS Adventure. I only got to ride around 60 miles.

Completely different bike as was to be expected. Loved the electric screen (although the actual screen itself needs changing), heated seats, ESA, engine, riding position and the fact I could flat foot both feet at lights.

Hated the gear box. It's so much worse than the Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom that I used to have. Found the throttle a bit twitchy at low speeds.

The one thing I found so unusual was the turning/cornering ability. At first I thought the bike was trying to stand up in corners and it freaked me out. I thought it was very dangerous. Later in the ride I realised that perhaps the bike was diving into the corners and in fact it was me fighting the steering that made it fell like it was trying to stand up. For example when I was turning left, I felt the left hand handle bar actually pushing my left hand/arm towards me - as if the bike was trying to turn left itself and I was holding it back. I've never experienced that on a bike before. Is that normal on the GT's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:53 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
The one thing I found so unusual was the turning/cornering ability. At first I thought the bike was trying to stand up in corners and it freaked me out. I thought it was very dangerous. Later in the ride I realised that perhaps the bike was diving into the corners and in fact it was me fighting the steering that made it fell like it was trying to stand up. For example when I was turning left, I felt the left hand handle bar actually pushing my left hand/arm towards me - as if the bike was trying to turn left itself and I was holding it back. I've never experienced that on a bike before. Is that normal on the GT's?
essjay, without riding the same KGT you rode it's hard to answer your question. But I can tell you that once rolling, the KGT is about the most nimble handling motorcycle for its size and weight that I've ever ridden. The cornering ability of this bike is amazing and at least for me, almost effortless. It holds and a line with no hidden surprises.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode