A Decade of those Ugly, Ugly K Bikes??! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

A Decade of those Ugly, Ugly K Bikes??!

Well, we will be going past 50 Long Beach posts shortly this weekend! As expected and welcomed most of these posts critique the looks of the new offering from BMW, either warm, cool, or just plain cold.

It's all given me the impetus to do a sort of chronology over the past near decade of how various "K" bikes were initially received - from the "just plain cold" perspective. It's all history now, for the most part, and meant as tongue-in-cheek as it serves to show the overall nature of the internet. So, if you have one of these motorcycles, (and I've had 3 of them) please accept this as a bit of history (after all what else can the "site historian" do?).

1997: The Intro of the K12RS

And, the internet said: "it looks like a turd left to melt in the hot sun"; hey, check the riding position - it's made for urganutangs only; referring to the tank - it's a humpback whale; and, my favorite after initial rides: A Torpedo!

1999: The intro of the K12LT

And the internet said: hippo; Light Truck; and guess what stuck as an affectionate nickname?

2002: The intro of the facelifted K12RS

What is this, a prototype? The new "fairing cap" looks like a coffee can lid clamped onto the lower fairing. This update also introduced the the partially integrated, servo assisted brakes and the electronic cruise control to a chorus of why are they giving us a car to drive?

2003: The intro of the GT

New name, same old friggen bike; why did they just throw a few pieces of plastic at an existing bike and call it something else?; look at the huge expanse of plastic inside the fairing and not even the effort to install a fairing pocket; the adjustable windscreen goes up a mighty two inches; how is this a touring rig; with a lifed muffler and useless left saddlebag; five.5 gallons and 190 miles?; "Torpedo II".

2005: the intro of the K12S

Generally; it looks like any other Japanese sport bike; specifically; why buy a Honda Blackbrid knock-off at twice the price?

2006 (or is that 2007 - got to round out the decade): The intro of the new GT

An old name and a new engine! - well luckily there are more than 50 posts to look at - and thanks guys for all the effort to participate in this forum which represents the most hi-tech of participant websites on a motorcycle that's coming from BMW's new direction of hi-tech offerings.

You know, that first. 1997 entry was all done from what was then the only thing available on the internet - a subscription bulletin board (I think that's where the term "bulletin board" came from. And, no pictures to study and comment on.

And, thanks for letting me play, yet again, site-historian.

Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 1:57 pm
Statmaster

Miles,

Do you remember a time when people called the K1200RS, "Shamu"? I think I remember one R11RS rider calling it a beached pilot whale.

Oh, and then the LT came out. More whale references. Then the light truck comments. Oh, and luxo barge was another favorite.

As with all change, there will be resistance.

I'm still thinking that if anyone at BMW's design studios bothered to model any of the new bikes in clay, we'd be seeing a completely different series of body styles.

Ugly as it may be, it's growing on me -- sorta like the last K1200 bikes. That slab side is just screaming for some hot graphics -- gotta call fast signs and see if they can custom make some Snapple or Budweiser advertising to slap on the side. It will help pay for the $20K for the new GT.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Miles,

Ugly as it may be, it's growing on me -- sorta like the last K1200 bikes. That slab side is just screaming for some hot graphics -- gotta call fast signs and see if they can custom make some Snapple or Budweiser advertising to slap on the side. It will help pay for the $20K for the new GT.
Jeff,

Much less Clay, the design teams have not used CAD for the most recent models, using some kind of software program instead. There was an article in ON a few months back that went into this.

Having looked at the pictures of the GT over and over again, one thought that has occured to me is that a tip over wing on the lower part of the fairing where it looks like it juts out might not only offer a bit of protection, but add a little design interest as well. Maybe Pirate and company could think about that as a possibility.

The "hot graphics" idea is bound to happen and sooner than later, I'd bet.

Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Miles,

Do you remember a time when people called the K1200RS, "Shamu"?
"Orca".
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:48 pm

It's not all ugliness....

As one of those who has been asking WHY the designer of the GT swallowed an overdose of boring pills, I would like to point out the entire line has not been hit with the ugly stick. Specifically:

My KRS is a lovely looking machine, getting respect from my passenger for comfort and waves from sport bikes riders.

The KS is a good looking machine, needs some more color options; the granite gray is particularly pleasing to the eye.

The K1200R has its own sort of techno Mad Max beauty.

If you want to see a bike that is really ugly then visit...

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...2161#post12161
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 6:09 pm
Veteran

A bit of tongue in cheek, a lot of sarcasm, and a great amount of wit. Once again, and forever, site historian! What was that about a turd in the sun???? C'mon, did you make that one up?

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:04 pm

Quote:
C'mon, did you make that one up?
I recall the new K12RS being referred to as resembling a "mis-shapen turd".

Really.

And in brown I can sorta imagine it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:44 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddieb
I recall the new K12RS being referred to as resembling a "mis-shapen turd".

Really.

And in brown I can sorta imagine it.
I remember that. Happened over on the IBMWR list.

What was that guys name that said that?

Richard Burnecker or some damned thing. Seems he may have retracted
the statement at some later point.

There was a LOT of animosity flowing back and forth between vic and
the IBMWR regulars back then.

tim
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 8:17 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Much less Clay, the design teams have not used CAD for the most recent models, using some kind of software program instead. Miles
Actually, almost no one uses CAD software for industrial design.

The way it usually works is to use industrial design software such as Alias, or Rhino or other NURBS-based Industrial Design software for the styling. This allows much greater freedom in manipulating complex surfaces than CAD software.

Once the basic shape is established, then the zero-thickness surfaces are exported to 3D Parametric software like SolidWorks, Pro/Engineer. Catia or the like, to make "real" parts based on the imported surfaces.

Bob.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 8:50 pm

With all do respect
I love BMW bike and maybe my expectation from BMW is to high. i think BMW did a great job as far as design and mechanic since 2002 in most models but as far as color selections they need help from Italian for sure. the new GT to me is look like a old bike or old design and it dose not look like 2006 model. i think BMW could do a better job.
04 1200GT RED
Looking to buy a police RTp for sure
Was in the market to buy the new GT
After RTp looking to get the 2006 S or 1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode