BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

How to clean the instrument cluster

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  GillyWI 
#1 ·
What is the best way to clean off the cluster without scratching the crap out of it? Any clues on how to remove some small scratches off the plastic?

#2 ·
Meguiar's makes a plastic cleaner/polish, Griot's Garage has cleaner/polish, and you can try Plexus. Plexus cleans but it's not very abrasive so I doubt it will remove surface scratches. I'd try the Meguiar's or Griot's. Meguiar's at auto parts stores and Griot's is online. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
When I've brought my bike into the dealers' for warranty work or whatever, they always give it a "wash". Problem is, they scratch the clear plastic gauge covers, too.

I ask them not to wash the gauges. Most of the time they note it as "do not wash anything" but sometimes they forget and wash the bike (and gauges) anyway.

So far, none has washed the bike and skipped the gauges. At some point, you just stop worrying about it.

#6 ·
Probably they are not washing the gauges, but how do you NOT get them wet while washing the bike? But they dry the gauges off, which is understandable; I've never washed mine with a hose and wash bucket without the gauges ending up with big water drops on it. Which is probably how they get scratched. I think the trick is to just push a towel to the gauge face to dry them, don't rub the towel on the face. Sort of pat them dry. The OBC is the worst to get all the water dried off, down in the corners.

Gilly

#7 ·
You guys wash your bikes? Huh, who knew? :D

I'll just catch the windshield and face shield as necessary, and occasionally wipe off the gauges when they get a bit too crusty. :)

#9 ·
Meese said:
You guys wash your bikes? Huh, who knew? :D

I'll just catch the windshield and face shield as necessary, and occasionally wipe off the gauges when they get a bit too crusty. :)

Parasitic drag don'tchaknow.................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.