tire pressure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 8:59 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

tire pressure

Got the tire pressure monitor on my k13gt and have a question for those familiar with it.
The computer reads about 2 psi less than the manual tire guage. If I read the manual right it says that I need to pay attention to the computer and not the tire guage. If I do this the tires will be overinflated per the usual manufacturer methods of checking pressure.
Is this correct?
thanks in advance for any advice.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 9:05 pm
IBR# 366

Yep, we've found the computer reads 2-3 psi lower than a trusted manual gauge. You can either run the correct pressure and just know to add 2 psi to what the computer says, or run them a little harder and don't worry about it.

Honestly, very few riders can tell the difference from a 2 psi change on a street bike. Tires will heat up and change their pressure more than that anyway just from normal riding.

My biggest use for the TPM is to make sure that the pressure stay consistent over time, and doesn't drop noticeably over a few weeks or more. Also, I've had it alarm at me twice now, alerting me to a major puncture in enough time to get off the road and into a safe parking place before the tire went totally flat. That in itself is worth much more than worry about a 2 psi difference.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2009, 6:13 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Ken . I wasn't sweating the 2 psi but do want to make sure the tires perform as expected.
thanks for the response.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode