Rear Brakes activated and remained on at slow speed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2009, 9:08 am Thread Starter

Rear Brakes activated and remained on at slow speed

I have a 2008 K200GT (9800KMS) and had a very strange situation with the Rear brake staying activated even though I had moved my foot totally away from the rear brake foot lever and had no pressure applied to the front integrated lever. The situation was I had just come of a road into a parking lot and I had applied both the front hand lever and the rear brake foot lever on deceleration. I noticed a "drag" even though both brakes had been released. To me it felt as though the rear caliber/brake was engaged....I stopped and looked to ensure the rear lever was not somehow locked/stuck in an activated postion ...it was not. I tried to move the bike forward under power and although it would move it defenately had the rear brake engaged. I tried a few more times just moving a few feet at a time and it (whatever it was) released after 3-4 times.
I find this a little scary .... has anyone else had a similar situation.????

I am new to the forum... I do not think I did anything stupid ...but who knows... so a little intro about my experience may help ....
Riding for 35 years
North America ... coast to coast to coast for distances traveled
Bikes...
a few Trail Bikes (125 - 500's 2 and 4 stroke)
Yamaha - 650, 1100XS, FJ1100
BMW - 2 RT's and now the K1200

The net is I think I have a fair amount of riding experience and I have never had something like this and it frankly worries me lots .... dealer is havoing a look tommorrow but in case they are not able to find anything (I will hate that answer)... I thought I would float the question out to the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2009, 10:23 am
Strafist

Rock stuck inside the caliper?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2009, 10:34 am

Agreed, I've had a rock stuck in the rear caliper. Just a little one, it stayed in there and just kept the brake dragging a little. I only noticed it when pushing it into the garage.

Also had a front disc stick on last winter. Had to brake hard, released, and it was still breaking, pumped the brakes and a released. I stopped a few hundred yards later on, one disk was HOT. Took the caliper off when I got home, gave it a good clean. Been ok since? This was towards the end of a winter with a LOT of salt so I'm guessing it was winter crud etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode