1300Gt runs out of gas. Bad fuel guage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2009, 6:10 pm Thread Starter
Addict-oholic

1300Gt runs out of gas. Bad fuel guage

Went to my dealer to get my 1st service.

Ran out of gas as I was pulling into the parking area of my dealer today! I walked the bike into the service area...

Ok, they did the first service for $230.00. Changed the oil, old filter,final drive, a few rubber seals etc,made a bunch of adjustments and checked the fasteners etc. It seemed to be fairly thorough. They hooked up the bike to their BMW computer. No Faults.

Then they tried "calibrating" or adjusting the fuel sensor. 1/2 hour later, the consensus of the 2 mechanics and a call to BMW...I have to bring the bike back at another time and leave it for the day. They need to remove an electronic strip sensor and dry it out and then reinstall and realcalibrate. If that does not work, they will replace the entire fuel sender system sender. They said that they have seen this problem on late 2008's and some 2009,s ( mine being the second )..

On the way to the dealer, I tried to run the fuel guage down, but I noticed today in 50 miles to the dealer that the "miles remaining" never went below 46( from 60 at home). When I went dry,the resettable odometer showed 235 miles since my last fillup and an average of 38.5mpg.
I should have known better as the last few tankfuls at 60 miles remaining and 215 on the resettable took 6.0 gallons..
BTW, the yellow light never did come on. It is supposedly programmed to come on at 40 miles left.

On a side note, the bike is running spectacularly, especialy after the oil changes. MY bike ran smoother, less buzzing at high revs, and shifting is getting less clunkier by the mile. I really ran the engine through its paces during the breakin period. The nimbleness of this bike is far superior to the 2006. It feels like the bike is almost part of my body,turning on mental commands or a slight flick of the wrist...

1100 miles on the odo and many more to come..

Of course, I have to watch the miles until they do the fix in 2 weeks. I get a loaner of a low mileage bike for the day.....

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Dropping my 07 k1200gt off tomorrow for the same problem.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2009, 8:17 pm
Rookie

I have never got my 13 to read below 56 miles remaining.
Have not yet had the balls to push it another 25 miles. Light has never come on.
How common is this?
shoot.... not another trip to the shop...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2009, 8:57 pm Thread Starter
Addict-oholic

This seems to be a common problem with the new 1300GTs. Your problem is identical to mine.

I have an appointment to have it fixed on June 11, with a loaner for the day as I live 50+ miles from the dealer and no public transportation. They will pick up and deliver within 3 or 4 days and for a charge...I would rather ride...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Veteran

Nope, those 1300's have ALL the bugs worked out of 'em, you're all imagining these things, they're perfect........
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2009, 9:42 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Nope, those 1300's have ALL the bugs worked out of 'em, you're all imagining these things, they're perfect........
Yeah. I guess the "84 improvements" missed a few, or created a few more. And none of 'em are important if you run out of gas!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2009, 11:43 pm
Veteran

Hate to mention it, but my 2006 had two of those "fuel strips" replaced. Both seemed to "stick" for whatever reason and either never indicate full, or it never went below 1/3 tank.

The yellow lamp on mine now comes on around 216 miles and I've nursed it maybe 20 miles beyond that. Never got to the push it or call AutoClub stage....yet.

Now just wait until the '09 final drives begin to blow chunks and we'll' see how the "84 improvements" list holds up.

Mack
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2009, 9:01 pm

I can not believe they still have not fixed that. My 07 will run out of fuel indicating it has 1/4 tank left. It has been in twice with two new fuel strips. I gave up. I just set the milage like on an old cruiser. That is the only thing about this bike i dislike. They would have been better off with a cork float on the gas cap!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2009, 10:31 pm Thread Starter
Addict-oholic

I told my dealer that if they are not able to fix on 3 attempts ( a known problem), I expect to file suit to return the bike under the Connecticut lemon law...

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on the 1st try; if there is still aproblem, I want a new system and change out evfery related component.I do not want to go throught the lousy expperience i had with my 2006 and the HI & BBS with several attempts until they swapped everything out and made it right..

I really like this bike. I feel like it has become part of my body when riding....

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2009, 11:52 pm
Rookie

The 13's don't have a fuel strip like the 12's did. They went back to a "float" style system. Yes there were lots of bad strips but that was on the 12's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode