Extended Warranty - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Extended Warranty

Hi Gang,

My 2006 GT is about to run out of factory warranty. Any thoughts on extended warranties? The dealer is offering a $1000 three year package from Aftercare that features no deductible, 100% coverage of breakdowns, no roadside assistance.

The bike has already had the airbox replacement (success), the clutch squeals on fast departures but is otherwise OK, and the dealer proactively changes final drive lube on scheduled services.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 11:36 am
Enthusiast

I just got an extended policy through U.S. Insurance Services. 4 year policy, unlimited mileage and $50.00 deductible for $714.00.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 1:02 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
I just got an extended policy through U.S. Insurance Services. 4 year policy, unlimited mileage and $50.00 deductible for $714.00.
That sounds like a good price. I bought mine when the bike was new and the extra 4 years was either $1200 or $1700. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer/salesman gets a large cut of the pie too. I should find the policy and read up on it as I may have to use it shortly. Buddy at work had one on a car and it only covered "oil-related engine issues" and he had electrical issues so it was a no-pay policy for him.

I haven't yet heard of anyone using a supplemental policy on a BMW yet so I don't know what the results will be on a subsequent claim. That portion sort of scares me, much like "Is that company even still around?" I got burned when Silo went out of business on some appliance insurance stuff. "All gone. Bye-Bye. So sorry." Same with Circuit City and CompUSA, although not as bad. Aftermarket policies are useless if they fail or just pack up and leave. Worse if you pay up front and then need to pursue them.

I'm a few weeks out from going off the BMW warranty as well and BMW NA is getting stingy on the end-of-warranty issues with mine with regard to the "high-idle" stuff (i.e. replace only the cheaper idle valve when the more expensive airbox (?) may be the culprit). Bike is worse now after the idle valve replacement and the local dealer will now get their shot at it. Can't afford to spend another $800 for awaiting out-of-town warranty repairs (i.e. Hertz car and Holiday Inn).

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 1:35 pm
Veteran

I had my extended warranty with Western Services, a division of McGraw. After I wrecked the bike, I canceled the extended warranty and received a pro-rated settlement with them for the un-applied portion of the premium paid.
Make sure that from whom ever you buy the policy from, that it has this feature(it might also depend on your states regulations, also).

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 3:49 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
T

I'm a few weeks out from going off the BMW warranty as well and BMW NA is getting stingy on the end-of-warranty issues with mine with regard to the "high-idle" stuff (i.e. replace only the cheaper idle valve when the more expensive airbox (?) may be the culprit). Bike is worse now after the idle valve replacement and the local dealer will now get their shot at it. Can't afford to spend another $800 for awaiting out-of-town warranty repairs (i.e. Hertz car and Holiday Inn).

Mack
if your bike is worse off, tell them it is "unsafe to ride" and they will get on the stick much more quickly......

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 5:29 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
if your bike is worse off, tell them it is "unsafe to ride" and they will get on the stick much more quickly......
That's the plan I got at the local dealer as well. Actually, it came from some cruiser rider who was standing there overhearing the conversation and he got the dealer's blessing as well and them backing his thoughts as well.

I have Triple A (Auto Club So. CA) coverage on the bike and they will get a call Monday to flatbed it to the dealer with that understanding next Friday. We'll see how it goes later on.

Right now, I am not BMW NA happy and the thing can rot in the driveway along with their heat-warping plastic crap. There's no excuse for doing minimal warranty repair - other than to save themselves a dime - to someone 500 miles from home when they know the issue the entire time as well as the repairing dealer who is caught in the middle of the mess with BMW NA pulling their strings.

It's almost enough to make me go back to slow-poke Harley or Victory. Maybe the later though since they seem to be the least likely to break down or require warranty work.

Mack
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 1:12 pm

I purchased a Zurich plan through my dealer for about $1,200. Could have gotten cheaper through Pinnacle or Western, but wanted to use local dealer.

When I was looking at options it seemed like many were pleased with both Pinnacle and Western.

I am not a big fan of extended warranties but with all of the extremely costly electronics on this bike and many of those items being 1st generation (CANBUS, ASC, ESA) I thought it was a good move. Time will tell.

'12 K1600GTL
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 1:49 pm
Enthusiast

Is Zurich only available through a dealer? I haven't found a consumer website for a quote.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode