Just picked up new K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 7:50 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Just picked up new K1300GT

Hello all. I just drove to Blue Moon cycle in Atlanta from Fort Rucker Alabama to pick up my K1300GT. It is red and fully loaded. I can see why these bikes are hard to find, it drives incredible!

As a rider coming from sport bikes, it's super comfortable yet it still has plenty of "giddy up". The best part is I can now ride long distances without the crouched-over back pain.

Has anyone tried putting on a headlight modulator on the high beams or installing attention-getter brake light flashers? (I of course would not modulate the low beam, it being Xenon and all). I have done these mod's to previous bikes but I know the K1300GT has the fancy CAN-BUS system. I am not sure if the light modifications or putting in LED bulbs would effect the system at all.

This is also my first bike with a center stand. I tried getting it up on the center stand in the garage but it was not working too well. The stand seems to "slide" and not catch on the smooth garage floor. You guys know of any tricks or just use brute force?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 8:40 pm

Vega,

Congratulations on your new ride, you're gonna love it.
It is real easy to get the bike on the center stand, just put your right foot on the center stand and push it down with your weight while balancing the bike with the left handlebar and the rear hold bracket.
It just takes a little practice.

RideSafe

2007 K1200GT
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 8:51 pm
Veteran

I placed a 1 foot square piece of thick plywood (about 1" or so) on the garage floor. I just drive in over it and stop with the rear tire about near the front edge of the plywood. Shutdown with it in neutral.

Sidestand down. Get off, and do much as described above. The rear end, now some what higher, makes getting it on and off the stand a whole lot easier, especially if it is loaded down. Plus, the stand won't slip as much on the floor and is much easier on the stand as well. Early editions of the K's were a bit prone to bending stuff on the stands/brackets or outright breaking and there was a recall check issued on them in the beginning.

Enjoy the bike!

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2009, 9:54 pm
Addict

Or just get a rubber mat of some sort (old car mat, barbecue mat, etc.) and place it under the bike before using the centerstand. That will give you plenty of traction to rock the bike off the stand while astride the bike. Standing beside the bike and placing your foot in front of the stand works too but that method tends to make me nervous.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 4:17 am

As usual...

Congrats on the new bike.....

There have been a few descriptions on how to do it in various threads. Here my version

Once I have got to the position where I want to park, I lean it on the side stand, get off the bike then face the bike.

I Grab the handlebar in my left hand, the rail for the panniers with my right hand.

Level the bike vertical and then stand on the footpeg thang on the centrestand increasing the weight on your right foot. (You will feel the centrestand put both centrestand pads on the surface...you will also feel it rocking to the pads.)

As you achieve full weight on your right foot, at the same time pull upwards with both hands. Dont yank to the bike up (this will probably send you and your back to the doctor). It should more or less ease backwards onto the stand without too much pulling upwards.

You will get the knack after the first few times...what worries me more about this bike is it falling off the side stand. Some members around here have bought an foot enlarger (?) correct word? It basically increases the area of the sidestand footprint, thus preventing it going through soft surfaces such as grass, soft asphalt etc.

Hope this helps

Bloke

Last edited by BigBloke; Jun 1st, 2009 at 4:30 am.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 6:51 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBloke
Some members around here have bought an foot enlarger (?) correct word? It basically increases the area of the sidestand footprint, thus preventing it going through soft surfaces such as grass, soft asphalt etc.
Here is the one I have: Link

It not only enlarges the footprint, but adds 3/4" to the length of the sidestand. It is in 2 sections of roughly equal thickness. The main section is anodized aluminum, and the bottom section is nylon or something like that. You can unscrew the bottom section if you want less than 3/4 extension, but I am keeping it on.

With both sections attached, the bike is definitely less leaned over than stock, but plenty of lean to keep the bike stable as long as the ground is reasonable level.

Last edited by Meese; Jun 1st, 2009 at 4:20 pm. Reason: fixed quote tags
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 12:45 pm

Congratulations on the new bike. I was not a big fan of the red when I saw it on the BMW site, but loved it when I saw it in person last week.

I use a cheap entrance mat under my centerstand which gives me a little extra grip between the stand and floor when I pull the bike on the stand, but more importantly it really helps when getting it off the stand. Without the grip of the rubber backing on the rug the bike tended to skid along the garage floor. With the grip of the rug it pops right off the stand.

'12 K1600GTL
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 3:22 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega
...This is also my first bike with a center stand. I tried getting it up on the center stand in the garage but it was not working too well. The stand seems to "slide" and not catch on the smooth garage floor. You guys know of any tricks or just use brute force?
Congratulations on your new K1300GT. May it bring you lots of fun and joy!

The guys have pretty much covered how you use your body weight (down) to put the bike on the center stand. It should work just fine, even on a smooth surface. Once you have mastered the technique, you will look like a pro.

Regarding taking the bike off the center stand:

* If it is on a slippery surface, I just plant my foot in front of the center stand to keep it from sliding. The other suggestions (about rubber pads, etc.) are good, but you may not always be in a place where one is available.

* My K1200GT user manual says not to sit on the bike and rock it off the center stand. I used to do it with my previous bike, but not the K1200GT. I know some guys who do it on their GTs, but I would be concerned about damaging the center stand stops over time.

* I check to make sure that the bike is in neutral before taking it off the center stand, to protect the drivetrain from possible damage. Others here may differ and say that it isn't enough force to matter. If you put it in neutral, you risk having the bike roll forward more than you expect; it may be harder to control.

* It may help to turn the handlebars slightly to the right before you take the bike off the center stand. As the bike moves forward, it will tend to lean towards you, which is easier to control.

* After taking the bike off the center stand, I always put the bike on the side stand before mounting it. Make sure that the side stand is fully forward before resting the bike on it. Remember that the bike may be in neutral, so be careful to keep it from rolling forward off the side stand, which may happen if it is bumped or pushed from behind. When mounting the bike, I always grab the right brake first, to keep the bike from rolling out of position as I mount. I can lean a little bit forward against the handlebars as I lift my right leg over the bike.

(When I park the bike on the side stand, I always leave it in gear. Harley's have a side stand lock that keeps the side stand from being accidentally disengaged. BMWs do not.)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 5:12 pm
Enthusiast

Congrats on your new ride. The GT is a hoot.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 9:40 am
Rookie

Just got mine too!

I had a little trouble getting my bike up on the center stand at first, but it seems that stepping firmly on the "pedal" and nudging the bike backwards by holding the left grip and pushing a little on the front of the left side case does it.

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode