Hot Riders Seat and Brake Pad light - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 1:02 am Thread Starter

Hot Riders Seat and Brake Pad light

I have 5,800 miles on my 2008GT. Bought it last Fall when the weather was cool. Two days ago I went for a ride in 85 degree heat. The seat got so hot I would have to stop about every 60-70 miles or so to cool it off!! I unplugged the seat heater wires, that was not it. Using a laser heat detector I found that the oil cooler under the seat was at 140 Degrees! The seat pan was 115 degrees and the seat was 110. Has anyone had this problem? I need to know, my dealer thinks I am crazy. A day later and a 78 mile ride and I got the same results. I really need to know if other GT owners are having the same problem and how they work around it. Please help, thanks.

Second problem: Brake pad light keeps coming on even though the brakes are not worn. The dealer has to reset the light, but it keeps coming on. What do I do, black tape over the light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 3:24 am

Don't have the heat issue on my 08 GT and over summer we get lots of days around 100 degree heat. I do have a great thick sheepskin on the seat though. Next time I'm out I'll pull the seats and see how hot they are and let you know.
Your dealer needs to fix the brake light issue not just reset it. Do a search on the site, will give you some ideas. I know this has been brought up before.

Cheers
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:32 am
Strafist

Kontour seats rawk!!!!

You have a shorted wire to your brake pad where it's zip tied to the frame. A known problem and an easy fix.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2009, 7:28 pm
Rookie

Had the same issue as you...

Tried Kontour, did not work and after the "break in" it was much worse then the stock.

Had the Russell Day Long for 2k now and I LOVE IT!
Top notch craftsmanship and does not have a zillion staple that can be seen on the bike like the other above seat.

Cheers,

Jim

07 KGT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Noob

I never have taken my seat temperature and you might have a specific problem, but my suggestion would be to try a beadrider seat. I have had one for more than a year and 14k miles. It allows for air circulation and gets your butt off the seat during rain which keeps you drier. These seats are relatively cheap($60-70) and might be a short term or more permanent solution.

second problem - ditto on grifscoots reponse. I put tape over the light and went 4k miles that way until it went for scheduled service. I did check pad wear regularly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:45 am
Telepathetic

I found the stock seat to be unacceptable and swapped it for a Russell. Even with the Russell after 9 or 10 hours I'll be standing on the pegs to get some air.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2009, 11:44 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
I found the stock seat to be unacceptable and swapped it for a Russell. Even with the Russell after 9 or 10 hours I'll be standing on the pegs to get some air.
Should have gone with their Velour topped one.

On my RT, they talked me into it almost at the point of getting beat up with a rubber hose since I live in the hot-as-hell Southern Central Valley of CA when I did the drive-in thing. I hated the thought of Velour and I was insistent on the more expensive leather, but they won the argument. Probably the most comfortable seat I've ever had - even more than the Lazy-Boy recliner. Actually stood up to all the 9 years of abuse and wet weather (with their cover, which I kept and still use) pretty well too.

Mack
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:54 am

Yep, I had the same problem yesteday, on my 09' GT, just had the initial break in service performed in the morning, and took a 750mi. ride in the CO mountians. There was one point on Trail Ridge Road I thought my right side switch gear must be malfunctioning and turning on the heated seat! I got home pulled the seat off, and I think the culprit is the oil tank it was really warm, as was the seat, looks like a Russell seat is going to be in my future as well. Gosh I love this bike, it is by far the best bike I have ever ridden! As a bonus my wife also loves the way this bike rides.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode