This rock....... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 2:10 pm Thread Starter
Addict

This rock.......

This road:

This rock:

And the fact that I only had 1 hand on the grips and could not swerve quick enough did this:

(Look at about 1 o'clock on the wheel)

And this:

(Look between 8-9)

Which caused a 5 hour wait on an isolated MTN top for this:

And then to get home about a 6 hour 2 up ride on an 09 GT with a guy who is taller but somewhat lighter than I:

(Seeing how I'm 6'4" and weigh about 270 there will be no pics of the2 up ride home)

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 2:35 pm
Addict

Damn, got both of them. At least you kept the rubber side down.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 4:25 pm
IBR# 366

Both rims. That sucks.

Although, I imagine that it cold easily have looked something like Sharkbait's avatar:

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 5:53 pm
Addict

Thank God you didn't go down, and get hurt. Rims, and tires can be repleced, but a GT rider is valuable.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 6:32 pm
Veteran

I'm disappointed you just didn't use the same old rock and beat the rim back into submission and use your portable air compressor all BMW riders are known to carry.

Mack
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 6:58 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
Thank God you didn't go down, and get hurt. Rims, and tires can be repleced, but a GT rider is valuable.
New GT $23,000.00, tires and rims $1000.00, BMW Rider Priceless.
Nice to hear you didn't go down.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 7:57 pm
Enthusiast

Yikes!!! A lot of bikers have gone down hitting a lot less... First count your blessings then give your bike a hug and then kick yourself in the ass for not being more attentive! Kidding aside, nice to see you made it through a near disasster.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 8:29 pm
Addict

Just for the hell of it I would suggest you send these photographs directly to BMWNA. Anyone who rides knows a lesser capable bike would have dumped the rider. I bet BMW would like to see how the product performed in an emergency, and you may just get new rims, and tires free of charge.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2009, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Yikes!!! A lot of bikers have gone down hitting a lot less... First count your blessings then give your bike a hug and then kick yourself in the ass for not being more attentive! Kidding aside, nice to see you made it through a near disasster.
Rebeltown is right. Many riders have gone down for a lot, lot less....either the gods were with you, you were incredibly lucky, or you a outstanding rider...you choose which I am sure a quick change of undies was required after you got it on the centrestand.

There is actually something I am trying to understand here...The damage to the rear wheel is quite some more than the front, yet you must have hit the rock with the front first. The marks to the front suggest a 'glancing strike' which must have nearly wrenched the steering from your 1 hand. Yet it is rear rim that sustained the greatest damage.

Therefore, my question is this:
Why so much more deformation to the rear than the front? Does anyone know if the front rim has a greater tensile strength (harder material) than the rear? The only sensible answer that I can come up with is that since the rear rim has a greater width, the bead is more susceptible to bending stresses, as the support is generated from the rim centreline.

Sorry about this,..it is the Engineer in me that keeps raising its ugly head...

Anyway am glad you are ok, a shitty way to end a ride, but better than coming home feet first.

Bloke
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBloke
Therefore, my question is this:
Why so much more deformation to the rear than the front? Does anyone know if the front rim has a greater tensile strength (harder material) than the rear? The only sensible answer that I can come up with is that since the rear rim has a greater width, the bead is more susceptible to bending stresses, as the support is generated from the rim centreline.

Sorry about this,..it is the Engineer in me that keeps raising its ugly head...

Bloke
I believe you are correct. The wider rims are definitely more bendy. Also, the rock seems to have hit that rim almost exactly between two spokes, so I imagine it is particularly weak in that area. The front one looks like it was closer to a spoke.

I know the spoke isn't really supporting the sides, but I would imagine the casting in general is a little beefier where the spokes attach. And they may absorb some of the impact, because it is mostly side-loading. If it hit straight on, the tire and suspension would have absorbed nearly all of it.

I just wonder what would have happened if the wheels were more rigid? Would it have been worse for the rider?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode