Should I keep my current bike after 30K miles? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 5:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Should I keep my current bike after 30K miles?

I'm about to hit the 30K mark on my '06 K12GT and have been wondering about whether it's time to trade it in for a newer model or just keep going until it starts to have wear problems.

I ride over 1,500 miles a month all year round so it's serviced regularly & looked after properly but with this fairly high mileage I'm worried that the repair bills are going to start rising soon?

It was a bit of a problem bike when I first got it & I've had quite a few things fixed under warrenty but the past 10K miles or so have been trouble free. In fact, if anything the engine seems to feel smoother than it used to so maybe things are loosening up a little, lol.

Things that have been replaced (that I can remember anyway) include, front wheel bearings, both front discs, battery & some electrical wiring stuff. I'm guessing that suspension could be on the list of things that'll need looking at soon.

My other worry is that once it gets much over 30K miles the resale value is going to plummet as well so maybe it's now time to move on?

My last bike was an 1150RT which racked up over 50K miles but the last 10K of those were fairly troublesome & I'm keen to avoid going through the hassle of the bike being off the road for repairs on a regular basis.

The new 1300 doesn't desperately excite me but I'd probably go for another one as I'm not sure there's anything out there that's as good for my everyday journey so I'd probably go for one of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 9:33 am

I had the same thoughts... and kept mine. At 36K now and I plan to keep it until it becomes unreliable or is no longer both a work horse and fun.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 9:55 am
Enthusiast

Um 30k isn't high mileage.

I have an 86 k100rt with 80k miles on it, and a 98 k1200rs with 70k.

Mine aren't considered high mileage either and have been less of a hassle than my 07 GT

I am considering buying a service contract aka extended warranty. The first 40k is considered the break in period (or break your wallet).

If you like the bike, then you shouldn't be concerned about resale value. The market is flooded with used GT's. I paid 15,500 for mine last year and now people are selling 07s like their lives depend on it.

Ride Safe, and stop worrying about what ifs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 10:17 am
Veteran

Yeah, 30k is just break in period. There are a lot of us out here with plenty more than 30k on the odometer and I for one am not worried at all that my bike is about to start having more problems because of it. Well maintained and serviced I would expect to get lots more life from it.

Now if you've got $$ just burning a hole in your pocket and are looking for an excuse then that's a different story.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 10:37 am
Enthusiast

30K on a K motor is nothing. I rode my K bike for 11 years and 70K miles with little trouble from it. As long as you do regular maintenance it should hold up fine. The value will bottom out at about $4K-$5K but that is many years down the road. Mine was worth at least $4.5K after 11 yrs. On the other hand, if you want something newer and you have the bucks go for it.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 10:46 am
Enthusiast

What Robert said. I had almost 200K on my 1985 K100RT when I sold it. I've regretted it ever since.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for all this guys,

I guess part of my worry was that my RT had a few age related problems between 30K & 50K. None of them were big money but it left me stranded a couple of times which was pretty dull.

I'm sorely tempted to hang on to it & see how it pans out

I do have a couple of other bikes but I'm hardly using them as the K seems to cover more bases and, in many situations, is just as much fun (one of the others is an '07 GSXR 1000 which is a bit of an adreneline rush compared to the K but obviously a very different bike).
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:54 am
Veteran

keithb is right. They do seem to bottom out around $4-$5K over time.

When mine (2006) began acting up (idle stuff high and none) I thought about the 1300. The trade-in is around $10K now and maybe $13K private. Not great. So much for first-time owners.

That and I was told to hold off for a year on the 1300 as well from the dealer to address "initial bugs." Then I see the 1300 appears to have some fueling issues in the June 2009 issue of "U.S. Rider News" from the team of riders on various 1300GTs which surprised me. Quoting page 44: "During our test some of my peers were experiencing fueling issues, but try as I might; the only thing I could come up with was a slight lag at times coming back on the throttle."

Sounds awfully familiar...

Mack
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 12:30 pm
Noob

the only fuel problem i have had with the K13 is when i was not paying enough attention to the fuel gauge and ran out of gas.
FYI.. when the on board computer says "0" miles remaining it really means it

ride safe
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 1:56 pm

FWIW, I have an 07GT. Placed into service in early Aug 07 (e.g., do not remember the build date).

From the range 30k to 90k miles, the only problem I had was a bad crankshaft sensor (causes the bike to stall). $106 for the part - problem solved. Do not remember the labor.

From 90k to 109k miles, I have had some issues (timing chain tensioners, guide rails, timing chain, crankshaft sensor (again), brake rotors, fuel gauge, fan (went to 1/2 power/speed). All covered by an extended service plan from Pinnacle. $20 or $25 deductible.

Valves have never needed adjusting. Engine performance might be better now than it was at 30k. Original final drive (knock on wood). Does not use oil, coolant, etc.

2007 K1200GT
IBA#31809

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode