Overheating and speedometer query - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 6:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Overheating and speedometer query

I have a 06 GT with 17,000 miles. Brilliant machine but yesterday I had a few problems.

Went for a 100 mile run in calm, 80 degree weather on open road. On finding a quiet stretch of road, I decided to "turn up the wick" and no matter how hard I tried it would not cross 120mph. (The bike was capable of 150mph last month). I gave up and just cruised the remaining 20 miles to town. 1 mile of filtering in 1st and 2nd gear together with a 1 minute stop at a traffic light resulted in the red warning light flashing and the temperature gauge blinking.

I immediately stopped and later checked the coolant level which was full.
I nervously rode home and noticed that the temperature gauge would only rise if i got caught up in traffic travelling below 20 mph.

This morning at home I decided to test the fan, so while on the centre stand, I started it up and warmed up the engine. At one point I revved the engine from 2,000 rpm to 4,500 rpm and the speedometer reading jumped to 15mph. I repeated this and the same thing happened. The fan came on but the temperature reading continued to rise. Afraid of possible engine damage I didnt wait for the red warning light and switched off.

I went for a spin this evening and the bike went to 135mph(more there but didnt want to tempt fate)

3 questions.

1. What caused this overheating?
2. Why did speedometer jump?
3. What happened my top speed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 10:12 pm
Strafist

Gut feeling here, but have you check your air filter lately? We dug a whole bird out of Meese's.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 1:04 pm
Rookie

When your revved the engine on the centerstand, is it possible you had the bike in gear? Even with the clutch pulled in, the rear tire will probably spin (wet clutch), and on this bike the speedometer will read if the rear tire is spinning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 6:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the suggestions.

The bike was in neutral when I bliped the throttle while the bike on the central stand. The speedometer immediately went back to zero when I let off the throttle. Is vibration from the engine causing the throttle to behave this way?

I haven't checked the airbox but all the vents appear to be clear. This problem of overheating only occurs in slow moving traffic. It disappears once I hit the open road.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 6:54 pm
Enthusiast

When you were reving it on the center stand did you notice if the rear tire was turning. It could have been freewheeling from the normal friction in the gear case.

When it starts to overheat do you hear the electric fan come on at full speed? If not that could be your problem, bad fan or fan sensor.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2009, 7:08 pm Thread Starter
Noob

didn't think to look at rear wheel but once I backed off the revs the speedo returned to zero. Only blipped to 4,500 rpm and the rear wheel requires effort to turn it as i alwalys spin the wheels to check for tyre damage prior to a ride.
The fan came on but didn't make any impression on reducing the temperature of the bike.

The top speed of 120mph is also bugging me. Bugging me more now that it has suddenly gone up tp 135+
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2009, 9:05 am
Noob

Had similar problem with my GT overheating while in traffic, OK on the open road, possible cause is radiator clogged with road dirt and bugs, needs a good clean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode