Adjusting Throttle Play - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2009, 1:43 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Adjusting Throttle Play

Hi

I've just traded on my 07 K12GT for a new (pre reg 09) 08 build K12GT.

Really love the new bike, but there is too much free play on the throttle for me.

Can any one out there please explain how to alter this.....I'm guessing it is very simple if you know how!

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

It's not where you go that counts, it's how you get there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2009, 6:36 pm

From the RepROM CD: (Paraphrased)

If you have Cruise Control, there are TWO Bowden cables coming out of the throttle grip. If not, there's only one. The throttle-opener cable is the one toward the front of the bike, the throttle-closer cable would be the one toward the rear.

Start with the throttle-opener cable:
Remove rubber cap(s) on Bowden cable(s).
Completely slacken off lock nut(s).
With the throttle twistgrip in the idle position, set the play at the circumference of the throttle twistgrip by turning adjusting screw. Play should be 3-4mm measured at the outer circumference of the grip.

Tighten throttle-opener locknut.
Secure rubber cap.

Adjust the play of the throttle-closer cable:
With the throttle twistgrip in the idle position, set the play at the circumference of the throttle twistgrip by turning adjusting screw to 3-4mm. (As you tighten the adjuster barrel, you'll see the grip move away from the idle position. You should be able to close the throttle down by hand that 3-4mm until it stops.)

Thighten the throttle-closer locknut and secure the rubber cap.

Hope this helps. I don't know how to post pictures here

Todd
IBA #35303
2006 K1200GT 23k mi+
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:52 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

That makes perfect sense.

Many thanks.

I'll have a go tomorrow.

Cheers

Mike

It's not where you go that counts, it's how you get there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Before I bought my GT I test rode two different GT's as well as a K1200S and an R1200RT. Each one of them had the exact same very excessive (in my opinion) amount of free play in the throttle.....to the extent that I found it distracting during the rides. After giving it some thought I concluded that if BMW set them up that way at the factory there must be a reason for it and accordingly have resisted the temptation to try to adjust the slack out of my cables. Several techs have told me that I am correct.....the slack not only should be there, it needs to be there. We all know that for various reasons there has to be some slack in motorcycle throttle cables so I guess the questions are "How much is too much?" and "How much can I live with?" For my part, I've gone with the BMW engineers' interpretation and left it as is. It only took a couple of rides to get used to it and now I don't even notice it. Let the flames begin.

Last edited by Meese; Jun 15th, 2009 at 9:00 pm.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2009, 9:01 pm
IBR# 366

"How much slack" is defined in the factory procedure given three posts above. Yes, it needs to be there to accommodate the cruise control, but also to let the bars turn lock-to-lock without the throttle reacting to the changes in cable bend and position.

But I agree, the factory still leaves more slack than is actually required. I've tightened up a demo bike a turn or two just because I couldn't stand the sloppiness while riding it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2009, 9:50 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenendron
From the RepROM CD: (Paraphrased)

... (See above for procedure) ...
I am looking for this procedure in the latest RepROM so I could look at the pretty pictures, but have had no luck so far. I have found the one-cable version, but not the one for USA K1200GTs with cruise control as paraphrased by Todd above. Any hints on where to find it in the RepROM?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 6:55 pm
Rookie

First thing I did when I got my '07 GT was adjust the play out of the throttle. As sensitive as the throttle is on these bikes a sloppy throttle just makes fine throttle control almost impossible. I adjusted almost all perceptible play out of the throttle and have no problems with the handlebars at lock-to-lock and the cruise works perfect.
Come to think of it I've had to do this with almost every new and used bike I've bought, all brands. Must be a liability thing with cables too tight causing the bike to accelerate when the handlebars are turned to their stop. But 1/4 inch of play...that's ridiculous.

Bruce Hodges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode