Question about valve adjustment - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2009, 3:11 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Question about valve adjustment

Well at 14,600 miles my new GS-911 says that my valves (2007 K1200GT) should be checked in 181 miles . I know the odds of the valves actually being out of spec are low so I'm not considering the job urgent, but looks like I will be getting at it sooner or later.

I notice in the RepRom that a special tool is indicated ('bearing cap holder') if the cams should need to be removed. I'm not sure why you would want to hold a bearing cap in place since the caps obviously need to be removed to pull the cams, and in the pictorials the tool seems to just be in the way. Can anyone who has done the job let me know if this tool is really needed, and if so why?

TIA,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2009, 3:53 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Well at 14,600 miles my new GS-911 says that my valves (2007 K1200GT) should be checked in 181 miles . I know the odds of the valves actually being out of spec are low so I'm not considering the job urgent, but looks like I will be getting at it sooner or later.

I notice in the RepRom that a special tool is indicated ('bearing cap holder') if the cams should need to be removed. I'm not sure why you would want to hold a bearing cap in place since the caps obviously need to be removed to pull the cams, and in the pictorials the tool seems to just be in the way. Can anyone who has done the job let me know if this tool is really needed, and if so why?

TIA,
Meese, and Grif just did it on Meese's bike. Shoot them a PM if they don't see your post.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2009, 5:42 pm
IBR# 366

Yeah, Grif and I did my valves, but they were still in spec so we didn't actually pull the cams. So no special tool needed.

I did take lots of pics, which my camera ate. So much for that full procedure I was gonna write.

The best advice is to take your time and follow the procedure. If you do find some out of spec and you actually do have to pull the cams, you can decide then whether to buy the special tool, do it without, or take it to a dealer to finish up.

BTW, BMW now recommends checking them every 18K, so you have some time to think about it.

And be very careful when pulling the spark plug caps/coils out. They come loose with a sudden POP and can slam into the frame/suspension above, thus breaking off the tiny clips that hold the electrical plug in place. Especially the two on the left side, right, Grif?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2009, 6:51 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the info and tips. My preference would be to know in advance about the tool though, since if I need to adjust I'll likely find some dealer somewhere who has the shim I need (FedEx takes only one day no matter where the dealer is) but the tool would probably be a special order item that would take who knows how long to get. Or better yet I could fab one up in advance but there doesn't seem to be any info on that available yet. I'm nowhere near a dealer so taking it to dealer to finish up would be out of the question (not to mention they'd probably tell me they couldn't get to it for a month), plus that would be against my religion anyway.

One more question... how do you reset the 'Distance to Next Valve Adjust' counter in the ECU? It's not clear how to do that with the GS-911, or do you just disconnect the battery, or..?

Edit: I found the answer to the question above on the GS-911 support forum... the answer is you don't reset it, at least not with the GS-911. The GS-911 apparently can only read this value but not reset it.

Last edited by smiller; Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:31 pm.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2009, 2:24 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Thanks for the info and tips.
You're welcome. That's what we're here for.

Quote:
My preference would be to know in advance about the tool though
You might want to ping Ken at Evoluzione Cyclesports. He's done dozens of valve checks on the Slant/4 motors so he can probably tell you what you'd need off the top of his head.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2009, 8:11 am Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks again. Two more questions if you don't mind... did you need new valve cover and secondary air system gaskets, and what tool did you use (if any) to remove the spark plug caps?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2009, 1:07 pm
IBR# 366

I did buy both gaskets, but the old ones came out cleanly so we reused them. You should be able to get away with that once or twice without ay issues, although having the replacement parts on hand is good, just in case.

We used a large flat blade screwdriver to pull the spark plug caps/coils. Like I said, they come out with a pop, so be careful here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2009, 2:32 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks again Ken.

BTW I researched the cost of the cam hold down tool ($175 ) and the TDC locking pin ($86) and as expected they were pretty expensive. I'll probably end up following your advice and not worry about pulling the cams this trip as that probably won't be necessary, and by the time check number two is required somewhere down the line I think the tool situation will be better sorted out in the aftermarket.

Looking more closely at the pictures I think I can see what the hold down tool is for, and that is to help install the bearing caps (and the cams) against valve spring pressure. What's unknown is whether that function is essential or merely makes the job easier. In any event I'm sure there's an alternate method just waiting to be discovered. Anyway, good to know that you don't need any special tools to get the spark plug caps off.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:50 am
Noob

Talking

Quote:

TIA,
Hi Guys,
Please find info from Hexcode.

Wallie du Toit (Managing Director)
Magra Process Engineering
Tel : + 27 82 372 3404
e-mail : [email protected]
Web : www.magra.co.za
----- Original Message -----
To: Wallie du Toit
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: K1200 GT 06 to 08

Hi Wallie,

It is possible with download 1006.3 of GS-911, this function is under: K-Series / K1200GT / Engine / Distance to valve check / Reset distance to valve check.

:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2010, 4:01 pm
Noob

Smile

Quote:
One more question... how do you reset the 'Distance to Next Valve Adjust' counter in the ECU? It's not clear how to do that with the GS-911, or do you just disconnect the battery, or..?

Edit: I found the answer to the question above on the GS-911 support forum... the answer is you don't reset it, at least not with the GS-911. The GS-911 apparently can only read this value but not reset it.

Sure you can... you just click the little button.. There are differences between the F and K models... in terms of the default values... the ECU itself has a default value programmed into it, and when you click he reset button, it automatically resets to its default value...

you probably know that BMW no longer uses this value... Valve checks are done at specific service intervals now... however, that does not stop the ECU from counting down... but that is all it does... so if the value goes negative... there is no ill effect... Generally BMW does not even reset these counters anymore... we just gave you that feature as a number of enthusiast that maintain their own bikes requested it...

best,
Stephan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode