Rear brake pad short life - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Rear brake pad short life

At 19,000 miles my rear brake pads wore out on my 2007 K1200GT. I was on a trip in northern Canada at the time so a long way from any kind of service. By the time I got home the dealer says the pads, disc, caliper, and brake line have to be replaced. I had the 18,000 mile service done and the check list said the rear pads were fine. Because I rode the bike for too long with worn out pads, the dealer says it is not covered under warranty, the same dealer that did the 18,000 mile service and the bill will be approximately $1,200.
Has anyone else experienced such short rear pad life? I never use the rear brake pedal. Most of my miles are road miles with very little use of the brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 1:26 pm
IBR# 366

Wait, the dealer checked them at 18K and they were "fine" then 1,000 miles later they were worn down past the metal? And by the time you got home, the caliper itself was damaged?

It is possible although very unlikely that a small rock or something got kicked up and lodged by the brake pedal keeping the rear brakes dragging. Otherwise, it sounds like the dealer didn't check them and they simply wore down to the backing plates. But damaging the caliper and brake line too? That would take an awful lot of excess heat . . .

Did your brake pad wear light come on at any point during all of this?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Addict

Did a "how to" here: Rear brakes.

I can see how this could happen easily as neither my light nor the wear indicators showed wear, but the pad backing material was already starting to hit the rotor. I got lucky:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 7:50 pm
Addict

I'm sure my rear pads won't last long at all since they are pumping brake dust all over the rear rim. It appears to me as though the proportioning valve favors the rear wheel, much more than it did on my RT. As for your dealer situation I agree with Ken, they can't have it both ways. Either they checked and everything was fine, or they lied at the 18K service, and never looked at the brakes. Either way if you pad sensor did'nt work warning you of this BMW should be responsible for everything, but the pads. Call BMWNA what do you have to loose?

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 8:07 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Wait, the dealer checked them at 18K and they were "fine" then 1,000 miles later they were worn down past the metal? And by the time you got home, the caliper itself was damaged?

It is possible although very unlikely that a small rock or something got kicked up and lodged by the brake pedal keeping the rear brakes dragging. Otherwise, it sounds like the dealer didn't check them and they simply wore down to the backing plates. But damaging the caliper and brake line too? That would take an awful lot of excess heat . . .

Did your brake pad wear light come on at any point during all of this?
x2 on Meese's comments.

Something just don't smell right here. A thousand miles later costs you $1200?

How can you damage a caliper unless the pad's backing plate is gone, much less the hydraulic brake line? You might want to speak with the shop owner. Can't hurt (hopefully).

Mack
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 10:30 pm

No way your brakes should have worn out so soon under the conditions you described. I would ask them to take a second look and offer up a better solution. If they can't do better, Ride the bike home and do the work yourself.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode