Change the minium speed to engage the Cruise Control? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 3:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Change the minium speed to engage the Cruise Control?

Is there a way to change the minimum speed at which the cruise control can be set or resumed?

Now the minimum speed is 54 km/h or something like that, and this is anoying since there are enough long stretches in my country where the max speed is 50 km/h.

Would be nice to set the minium speed to 30 km/h.

Thanks,
-Flere

smileand enjoy the moment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 4:35 pm
Rookie

You could try this, set the cruise control at the slowest about 54kph, then nudge the little lever rearwards - to try to reduce the set speed. I think I did this once and it worked. I don't know if it would go down as low as 30kph.

I hope this is clear.

Martin
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Veteran

OK, I gotta take a stab at this......

First off, 50 km/h is 31 mph, 54 km/h is 33 mph. Are you saying that you are that concerned with going 3 mph over the limit? Or that you would get a ticket for going 3 miles per hour over the limit? And that you would really want to change what is already a very slow speed for cruise control down to 30 km/h or 18 miles per hour??? Really? What would be the point? Who in the right mind would ever spend any amount of time in 1st or 2nd gear with the cruise on? This has got to be the strangest complaint / request I have ever heard for this machine. Not what it was made for.

Are you sure you got the right forum? Maybe you were looking for one of these:

And "long stretches"??? In the Netherlands?

Yup, I can see it now.....think I'll buy a brand new K13GT so that I can spend my next European vacation blazing across the Netherlands at the mind warping speed of 18 mph.....which would take one across the entire country in 2 hours or so.....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 7:13 pm
IBR# 366

Now Robert, not everyone is blessed with such straight, fast roads as you have in Montana, along with an almost laughable amount of enforcement. Europe really is a whole different continent . . .

And having ridden in the Netherlands and across Europe, I can say that yes, there are places where the speed limit is that strictly enforced. You can go as fast as you want on the Autobahn, but riding through small villages is a whole different story . . .

So let's not assume the entire rest of the world is just the same as America, shall we?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 7:59 pm
Veteran

Well Ken, if they really are enforcing 3 mph over the limit I hope the guys bike doesn't have a twitchy throttle! I've sneezed and blipped it up 5 to 10 before!

Sorry, just couldn't resist. But cruise control at 18 mph? Paleeese.........I will take my self imposed punishment now.

And just for clarification there are no "straight" roads in this neck of the woods. Over on the east side yeah. Nothing but glorious twisty high speed great scenery mountain roads for days!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 9:28 pm
Rookie

I for one agree that it would be nice to be able to set the cruise at 30 mph - not because I want to drive at that speed, but because it drives me nuts when I'm stuck behind someone going that slow.

Setting the cruise helps keep me sane, and at those times, I don't have the option of going 33 mph - I have to go 30.

Not that big a deal, but my car will do it at 30.

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 2:13 pm
Addict

I'd rather pull over and get a coffee than follow along behind someone doing 30 anything. Heaven forbid, I've even been known to pass someone dawdling along when it meant crossing (oh my) the double line on a long straightaway with no one in sight for a mile either way. Call me crazy.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 3:25 pm
Veteran

Being a former Mercedes technician, so having that "German-mechanical" mindset, I would have to think that the intention is to not allow the cruise to be set any lower than that, is that the engineers probably have the impression that at speeds that low, you are probably in town, and would rather have the hand controlling the throttle in case something were to happen (car turn out in front of you or various things like that).
Granted these things happen at any speed though, PLUS at highway speeds i think I am doing a better job of scanning for problems with the cruise set (not distracted by keeping an eye on my speed as well as traffic situations).
But I am guessing this is why the cruise won't engage any lower. I agree the best step is to try what GTMartin wrote, try setting it as low as you can, then bumping the "decel" position down a couple times.
Gilly
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 3:29 pm
IBR# 366

And I'm not against creating passing lanes where needed, either. When it's prudent and safe to do so, of course.

But sometimes, the flow of traffic is 30 mph, like when going through a rural town. Now you can argue that you shouldn't be on cruise control through a town because of the increased roadside hazards, but for many of these small towns, folks just passing through are a significant source of revenue . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 3:35 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
I've even been known to pass someone dawdling along when it meant crossing (oh my) the double line on a long straightaway with no one in sight for a mile either way. Call me crazy.
It's just paint.

BTW, this is my first post. Howdy

Tom
1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode