Kind of weird kill switch bug in 2007 GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:21 am Thread Starter
Addict

Kind of weird kill switch bug in 2007 GT?

I've noticed a kind of strange behavior in my 2007 K-GT (CIP 10, -KP CPU). When I operate the kill switch it takes anywhere from one second to as much as five full seconds before the engine shuts down. Usually a shorter delay than longer, but five seconds seems unusual. It isn't the switch itself as I can see it function properly on a GS-911, just seems like the ECU is in no hurry to react. Not really a problem but wondering if this is common behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 11:32 am
2 heads are better than 1

I don't think that's normal at all. A Kill switch should do just that, kill the engine immediately when activated. I've never had one respond this way, including on my 08 and 09 GTs. I would take it into the shop for diagnosis and repair. If you use it in an emergency situation where you want the motor off now, the bike running another 5 seconds could have drastic and painful results.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 11:54 am Thread Starter
Addict

Yes, for instance in the case of a stuck throttle five seconds on a a K1200/1300 is a long time . But it only exhibits the problem once in a while... good luck getting a dealer to believe me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 1:23 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Yes, for instance in the case of a stuck throttle five seconds on a a K1200/1300 is a long time . But it only exhibits the problem once in a while... good luck getting a dealer to believe me...
My 2008 GT kill switch works instantly. I would get it checked out first chance you get.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 3:28 pm
Veteran

I wonder what happens if you put the sidestand down with the trans in gear, is there also a delay??

Gilly
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 6:01 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I wonder what happens if you put the sidestand down with the trans in gear, is there also a delay??
I'll try that and see, but since these are two separate inputs into the ECU I wouldn't expect them to be related.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 8:44 pm
Veteran

I had a switch go bad on my old RT. New one came with entire harness and it went deep into the bike somewhere. I decided to just solder the old wiring onto the new switch rather than dismantle the bike to get to the harness junction.

Once the old switch was off the bike's handlebar, I found I could disassemble it pretty easily. It had a ton of grease packed in it along with a bunch of black dust and dirt. I flushed it all out and repacked it with dielectric grease from the auto parts store. It fired right up and shut right down by clicking it over. No need to install the new switch either.

Guess it just had a bad contact with all the dirt embedded in the grease. Maybe same for yours?

Mack
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 9:02 pm Thread Starter
Addict

It's definitely not the switch, it tests perfectly no matter what way I go at it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2009, 4:14 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Intermittent or not, the dealer should listen to you and work to address the problem. I had some intermittent problems on my 08 GT that took forever to demonstrate to the shop and BMW engineers, but the shop stood by me in believing the problems existed even when corporate initially did not. BMW ended up replacing the bike.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2009, 5:30 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Well luckily a fault code has appeared indicating a faulty kill switch. Not sure if it is really the switch or not but at least there's some hard evidence to back me up... hopefully BMW will believe their own computer...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode