Tire Change Help Gt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 4:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Tire Change Help Gt

I am changing the tires on my 08 GT with 15000 miles. I was looking at Meese's post about tires and desided to use the Avon tires as seen as the best so far based upon his experience. I am using Z6 and they only lasted 5500 miles. That is not bad but would like to try something different this time. Now my question, I looked at the hall of wisdom and the only referanece was Messanger 13 using 22 MM socket or the spark plug remover 1/2 drive at 13/16.
Is there anything ealse I need? Can anyone tell me torque wrench numbers and procedures in removing both tires?

2008 K1200GT Adventurine Silver
2007 K1200LT (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 8:30 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinedr
I am changing the tires on my 08 GT with 15000 miles. I was looking at Meese's post about tires and desided to use the Avon tires as seen as the best so far based upon his experience. I am using Z6 and they only lasted 5500 miles. That is not bad but would like to try something different this time. Now my question, I looked at the hall of wisdom and the only referanece was Messanger 13 using 22 MM socket or the spark plug remover 1/2 drive at 13/16.
Is there anything ealse I need? Can anyone tell me torque wrench numbers and procedures in removing both tires?
The user manual that came with my 2007 K1200GT includes complete wheel removal and re-installation instructions for the front and rear wheels, with photos. There is a warning to mask the inside of the wheels to prevent scratches when removing the brake calipers. There are special instructions for the brake pad wear and ABS sensor wires. You will need some type of front wheel stand or another way to raise the front wheel. I assume that the 2008 K1200GT user manual has the same wheel removal and re-installation instructions, right?

The manual also includes the torque values. For your convenience, I copied them here for you:

Front Wheel:
Quick-release axle in threaded bush: 37 lb/ft (50 Nm)
Clamping screw on quick-release axle in wheel carrier: 14 lb/ft (19 Nm)
Front brake caliper on wheel carrier: 22 lb/ft (30 Nm)

Rear Wheel:
Rear wheel on wheel flange. Tightening sequence: Tighten diagonally. 44 lb/ft (60 Nm)
Muffler on manifold: 26 lb/ft (35 Nm)
Muffler on right passenger footrest: 12 lb/ft (16 Nm)

Here is the BMW part number for my 2007 model user manual, in case you need a replacement, or the 2008 version doesn't have the instructions. I think it costs $25. Riders Manual (US Model) K 1200 GT. 06.2006, 2nd Edition. Order No.: 01 47 7 706 157

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:47 am.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 12:25 pm
Addict

THe back is a piece of cake.

Although when removing the muffler I would coat the bolt with anti seize compound.

On the front. If you have a floor jack and a 2x4 or (4x4), lay the board across the floor jack and place near the forward on the exhaust header. The less clearance between the wood and the header the better, because when the wheel is off you can actually lower floor jack and still have it support the bike. Helpful if a shop is mounting the tires an you have a floor jack that slowly drops over night. To much clearance and the bike may shift when lowering.

Also on the front loosen all fasteners before you jack it up. And torque once you lower the bike off the jack. I almost dropped my bike re-torquing the calipers.....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2009, 9:17 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
THe back is a piece of cake.

Although when removing the muffler I would coat the bolt with anti seize compound.

On the front. If you have a floor jack and a 2x4 or (4x4), lay the board across the floor jack and place near the forward on the exhaust header. The less clearance between the wood and the header the better, because when the wheel is off you can actually lower floor jack and still have it support the bike. Helpful if a shop is mounting the tires an you have a floor jack that slowly drops over night. To much clearance and the bike may shift when lowering.

Also on the front loosen all fasteners before you jack it up. And torque once you lower the bike off the jack. I almost dropped my bike re-torquing the calipers.....
Thank you for the information and the torque values. The 4x4 idea is great! I think we have what we need, Thanks again

2008 K1200GT Adventurine Silver
2007 K1200LT (gone)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 1:50 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
...Although when removing the muffler I would coat the bolt with anti seize compound. ...
Which bolt? Muffler on manifold? Muffler on right passenger footrest? Both?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode