Center Stand Replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 12:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

Center Stand Replacement

Has any ever had more than one center stand replaced? Mine has broken 3 times now--all in the same spot right after the weld on the angle brace to the bar where one steps to lift the bike on the center stand.

Unfortunately the Area Field Rep is starting down the path that I am doing something wrong. They keep bringing up that mine "has the redesigned" center stand, but my recollection is that the "redesign" had to to with the stops and not this particular issue.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 1:00 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtaxman
Has any ever had more than one center stand replaced? Mine has broken 3 times now--all in the same spot right after the weld on the angle brace to the bar where one steps to lift the bike on the center stand.

Unfortunately the Area Field Rep is starting down the path that I am doing something wrong. They keep bringing up that mine "has the redesigned" center stand, but my recollection is that the "redesign" had to to with the stops and not this particular issue.

Thanks.
I think your recollection is correct. Mine got tagged in large "red" large type on both Sierra BMW and Ozzie's computers to check the centerstand (stops) when they went to the VIN number. Nothing was done as nothing was bent, but I use the plywood square on the floor beneath the rear tire to help the thing onto the centerstand too. It can be a bit of a grunt if all the bags and truck are loaded.

If your welds are breaking, that's an issue for BMW AG. The stand on the K1300 appears to be a bit different in design than the 1200 when I was looking at them. I personally think the stand is a bit flimsy as mine will wiggle around at times and I sort of wonder if I should grab it or run from it once it gets up on it and begins to shimmy.

Good luck with the area rep.

Mack
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 12:43 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Quote:

Thanks.
How in the hell do you use a center stand incorrectly? That just sounds silly to me. Short of removing it for cave excavation activities it seems a hard thing to do. Request that he meet you at the shop and have him demonstrate proper usage and you demonstrate your method of usage. That should solve the debate either way in about 30 seconds.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 1:03 pm
Veteran

I'm with David on that.

This "Area Rep" wouldn't also happen to be an Asian guy that couldn't get the reddish K1300 (R or S) to start and stay running (two months?) at the dealer in Bakersfield, CA would it?

If it's his idea that *YOU* are the problem for breaking welds, then the brand is doomed. Good grief!

Mack
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 3:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
How in the hell do you use a center stand incorrectly? That just sounds silly to me. Short of removing it for cave excavation activities it seems a hard thing to do. Request that he meet you at the shop and have him demonstrate proper usage and you demonstrate your method of usage. That should solve the debate either way in about 30 seconds.
My thoughts exactly. I have used the center stand only one way for the last 21 years--10 on my r90 (after my dad used it for 12) and my k75s for 8 years without a single problem--which is exactly how it is described in the GT manual--put your" right foot on the extended arm of the center stand" and "place full weight of body center stand while pulling mtorcycle toward rear." (Of course I recognize the the r90s was a different style but the concept of full weight and lifting is the same.)

Only problem of having him demonstrate to me the "proper" method is that my stand is broken and they only have the K1300GTs at San Jose--and so far he won't authorize the repair.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 4:35 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I have used the center stand only one way for the last 21 years--10 on my r90 (after my dad used it for 12) and my k75s for 8 years without a single problem--which is exactly how it is described in the GT manual--put your" right foot on the extended arm of the center stand" and "place full weight of body center stand while pulling mtorcycle toward rear." (Of course I recognize the the r90s was a different style but the concept of full weight and lifting is the same.)

Only problem of having him demonstrate to me the "proper" method is that my stand is broken and they only have the K1300GTs at San Jose--and so far he won't authorize the repair.
According to the dealer, will the K1300 center stand fit the K1200? If so they should approve the replacement with the stand that was designed correcltly, no questions asked. This is an issue known to every dealer, at least according to one, who says he's seen a lot of broken center stands on the GT.

I've ordered a K1300 dog bone to replace the one in my K1200GT. It's a preemptive replacement, since it hasn't failed, but I really don't want to find myself in the middle of nowhere without a suspension. Wonder how many more mission critical parts have been redesigned on the K1300, engine excepted.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
...Wonder how many more mission critical parts have been redesigned on the K1300, engine excepted.
The missed the handlebar switch gear for some reason as being critical.

Mack
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
According to the dealer, will the K1300 center stand fit the K1200? If so they should approve the replacement with the stand that was designed correcltly, no questions asked. This is an issue known to every dealer, at least according to one, who says he's seen a lot of broken center stands on the GT.
That was my first question. I still do not have an answer. However, they said it would void the warranty since it is not designed for the bike.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 3:36 pm
IBR# 366

Well, count me in. I've just had my third center stand break, right at the weld as you have described. This pic is the first one that broke:

The second and now third center stands have all broken at that exact same spot.

It is due to a poor design that puts all the stress right at the end of the weld brace, and possibly poor welding (or at least not properly heat-treating the part to minimize these stresses right at the weld location).

The new K1300GT's do have a redesigned center stand, with a different foot lever and a different brace welded on in a different manner.

It does look much more robust. It also looks like it would be a direct bolt-on replacement, although I haven't yet been able to compare the two side-by-side on a bench or to try and fit one up on a bike.

The other problem, which actually made it to a Service Bulletin is the weak stops. This manifests when the stops bend under stress allowing the center stand to rotate too far forward. Note how the center stand is angled forward instead of being vertical, and the feet aren't sitting flat on the ground:

These are clearly two distinct problems, although it is possible to have both occur on the same bike (lucky me). It's especially annoying when you have a trip-loaded bike, no center stand foot tab, and bent stops such that even if you do manage to get it on the center stand, the rear tire is still on the ground. And then you need to pull the rear wheel to get a new tire fitted so you can make it the rest of the way home . . .

As for the local rep, simply remind him that all BMW parts come with a two-year warranty, so unless you broke it more than two years ago it should be replaced without question, at least with the original K12 part. You're on your own for getting them to fit the K13 part . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Jul 1st, 2009 at 3:50 pm.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 4:12 am

Same here. I pluged it with some steel bar and brazed it up. Been OK so far...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenStand1.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	10655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Centre StandRepair.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	10656   Click image for larger version

Name:	CentreStandSprayed.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	10657  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode