Is this gap supposed to be there on 07 KGT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2009, 8:28 am Thread Starter

Is this gap supposed to be there on 07 KGT?

Have a new gen KGT?

Please look at the pic in This thread which I mistakenly posted in the wrong forum.

My bike is handling funny and I wonder if the wheel was reinstalled incorrectly when I had the front tire changed.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:10 am
Rookie

Hey Chris, just took a look at mine. Looks the same.

Frank
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 8:49 am
Veteran

Not much to do today, here are pics of mine, hasn't has a tire replaced yet so a "virgin".
First two pics are of the right side, looks to me like yours is missing something (the "spacer" the guy mentioned where you originally posted your picture).
The last pic is a shot of the left side, just in case you want to compare that.
If there is a spacer missing I'd stop riding it NOW, the brake rotors might be all that's keeping the wheel centered, and I bet those aren't cheap, nor would the wreck if one breaks.
Gilly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1233.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	868.8 KB
ID:	10644   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1234.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	10645   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1235.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	10646  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 8:56 am
Veteran

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 9:12 am
Veteran

Looks normal to me. The axle has a step in it on the left side (looking from the front). Part #6 is the nut on the left fork (viewed from seat).

Try putting the front tire in the air and seeing if there is any play in it. I'll say no because if there was, your ABS would also be flashing an error from the front sensor.

I think JCW is right on that link. No problems. All my squirmy stuff is tires, inflation, or preponderance of all the damn tar snakes and other road crap - unless the final drive is falling apart!

Mack
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 9:15 am
Veteran

To me it looks too skinny. Might not even be anything contacting the oil seal, I think a spacer is missing like the guy said on that other forum. Need a different view, similar to that second pic I posted.
Gilly
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 11:14 am
Veteran

You've already got a gauge built into the front end for axle issues: The ABS ring and the sensor.

Look at the space between the ABS sensor and the notched ABS ring. There is about 0.025" (avg. straight sewing pin) or so between them. If something were wrong, it would wear or rub on the ABS ring and you would see and hear that. Too much and you would get a fault at the dash. A nickle's worth of distance between the ring and the sensor is probably way too much (no manual in front of me now for exact spacing).

Still, raise the front end and look for some play. Maybe it is further up than the axle (steering head or levers), or maybe the rear bearings someplace which you also should detect by wiggling the rear drive.

Mack
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 5:27 pm
Veteran

I thought about this today, I am still thinking the rotors might be holding the wheel where it belongs under most circumstances but if the spacer is gone the rotors might flex a little when handling, would only allow the wheel to shift to the right, not towards the left (which would end up breaking the speed sensor). It might not shift far enough away from the speed sensor to throw a code.
If the spacer is gone, it look like that is what rubs up agains the right oil seal, so I'd see if there is a gap around the right oil seal.
Gilly
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 3:45 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM0165
Have a new gen KGT?

Please look at the pic in This thread which I mistakenly posted in the wrong forum.

My bike is handling funny and I wonder if the wheel was reinstalled incorrectly when I had the front tire changed.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Hi Chris,
Check the air pressure if you have not yet. I run my front about 38 psi. When it drops to 32-33 ish, I can feel it. It gets a bit squirmney.
Take care
Tom

2007 Blue K1200GT 3dr Beemer
1993 Red K1100LT 2nd Beemer
1985 Blue K100RT 1st Beemer

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/misc.p...g=0&forumid=0#

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode