Still have original airbox - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 1:43 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Still have original airbox

My bike goes off warranty in about a week and I'm wondering if I should have the airbox and software update completed on BMW. I have no high idle and only rare BBS. It runs good but the throttle is sensitive. Thoughts?

I wish I could ride some of your bikes to see if I'm missing something - those of you who did the airbox and software upgrade, replaced the O2 sensor, tightened the throttle cable, installed Power freak, etc. I wonder if I'm just used to it now. I installed a Techlusion box on my '02 RT in short order, so I know what surging is.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 6:58 pm
Veteran

Maybe yours is one of the rare ones that work correctly? They must have made a few that work as designed.

If it won't idle at all, or if it hangs up around 2800-3400 PM after you pull off a 150 mile run on the highway and drops (or not) a few seconds later, then you might need the airbox stuff.

If it just hits a flat spot around 3200 RPM on acceleration like when passing then taking off it's time for the Power FRK.

If it doesn't do anything at the dealer then they will probably say "We've never seen one do that before" or just "It works OK for us." In that event, probably no airbox fairy will appear and dance around your bike and give you something for free without it being broke.

Mack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 4:21 am
Rookie

My 06 GT never had any airbox issues, alhough it had plenty of others.

When it was coming up to the mean UK warranty end (2 Years ) my dealer suggested we change the air box. I was reluctant at first as - if it is not broke dont fix it - but I had it done.

12000 miles since it was done no problems, touch wood!

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 6:34 am
Enthusiast

If you haven't got a new airbox, it may be more of a question of when it'll happen than if it'll happen. I don't know if your bike set-up is the same as my K12R, mine hung up once and that's all it took for the dealer to change mine, it wasn't necessary for them to "experience it" , just enough that I told them it happened. I had other issues with surging at steady speeds under 5k that I'd complained to them about previously though. Made a world of difference on how my responds. And it's not something I'll have out of my pocket later on when it wasn't designed properly from the get go. (jmo) Take a ride to Mi. and you can give mine a spin.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 7:34 am
Veteran

Note that the 2006 K1200GTs are coming out of warranty. (Three year warranty in the U.S.)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 8:33 am
Noob

My 2007 has not yet experienced any issues common to the airbox. I took it into Lone Star as asked them to do a preemptive replacement and they declined, and said if I start having high rpm issues, come on back and they'll replace it.

Like you, I'm hoping that I'm just lucky that it's working as designed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode