Profiling? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 5:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Profiling?

OK...so I am riding through the Yakima canon (if you ever get to Wasington State, it is from Ellensburg, WA to Yakima, WA along the Yakima river...a must do ride) and the speed limit is 30 MPH. I come around one of the many corners, and get pulled over by the WSP. I asked the troop how fast, and he stated 32 MPH. Then stated that "all you motorcycles are a danger on this road". Oh really, "...how many cars do you stop that are going two miles over the limit?" ..."none, only bikers!" That's fine mister trooper, write away. Has anyone eles been profiled because they ride a motorcycle? Are all motorcyclists lumped together as A**holes (excluding Harley riders, of course). What can we do to improve our image to the public and law enforcement? Just interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 6:07 pm
Addict

You really got a ticket for being 2MPH over the limit? I don't see how that can hold up in court since any speedometer on any vehicle can easily be off two miles per hour. If I were you that would be my defense. No speedometer is perfect, even Police continually recalibrate their speedometers exactly for that reason. Good luck

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 6:46 pm
Addict

I can't even drive 32mph without there being a danger of my falling over. I need the rotational speed of the wheels to create a gyroscopic effect to provide stability. That's why I was speeding officer.....the defense rests....your highness...er....honor.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 6:55 pm
Rookie

The Ellensburg Canyon is very heavily patrolled. You better run under the speed limit if you go down it. On a holiday weekend, there will be multiple LEOs there at any given time.

You have little chance of fighting the ticket on the basis that the trooper said he will only pull over motorcycles. He will deny it in court. And if the judge concludes you were over the speed limit, he will not care that it was only by 2 mph....

Sorry.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 7:00 pm
Enthusiast

Here in Vermont you're allowed 10% speedometer error. That would equate to 33mph okay and 34mph you could get a ticket. Go to court over that ridiculous 2mph.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 7:04 pm
2 heads are better than 1

I would think the speedo error accompanied by his comments that prove he is issuing tickets in a prejudicial manner should be enough to get out of that ticket fairly easily.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 7:04 pm

Angry

Nice. Another jerk in a uniform. This is why the police sometimes command so little respect. I have little use or respect for traffic cops. They can spare me the "Public Safety" bit. I'm not buying it. I got a ticket in a car once for doing 67 in a 65 on the 405 here in Los Angeles. Sunday, 7 am. Oh well. I guess you just have to pay it and accept your fate. Do you guys have the equivalent of traffic school you can attend and have the ticket erased? With budgets the way they are these days, I'm assuming they'd rather keep us all on the road so we can get more revenue receipts (tickets). I also suspect things will get worse as budgets run short for Government. Sorry for your woe.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 7:12 pm
Enthusiast

Please do let us know what happens. I will be amazed if it holds up and you get convicted w/ points &/or fines for 2mph over. That said, gov't on all levels are searching for revenue. Here in Colorado we've seen a marked increase in traffic presence and folks being pulled over...much more than the usual increase due to tourist season. It's an easy revenue source.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 7:39 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
Please do let us know what happens. I will be amazed if it holds up and you get convicted w/ points &/or fines for 2mph over. That said, gov't on all levels are searching for revenue. Here in Colorado we've seen a marked increase in traffic presence and folks being pulled over...much more than the usual increase due to tourist season. It's an easy revenue source.

Yes they hope you just pay it. IF everyone went to court on these, with the cost of the officers and the court cost and all it would not make sense to the counties unless they increased the fines. In CA and I assume other states you can have most infractions waived if you just go to traffic school (only once per 18 months), most people opt to do that. Imagine what would happen if everyone went to traffic court? I'm guessing the officers would at a minimum not write borderline tickets.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2009, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Yes they hope you just pay it. IF everyone went to court on these, with the cost of the officers and the court cost and all it would not make sense to the counties unless they increased the fines. In CA and I assume other states you can have most infractions waived if you just go to traffic school (only once per 18 months), most people opt to do that. Imagine what would happen if everyone went to traffic court? I'm guessing the officers would at a minimum not write borderline tickets.
But in California, they tack on court costs, as well as a bunch of other costs if you lose. I'm sure their overhead is covered by this with a bit left over. I miss the old days in Chicago when all you had to do was "make a donation" to the court and you just heard "DISMISSED" from the judge before you even got out of your seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode