Anyone install one of the patrol bike brake lights? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 9:08 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Anyone install one of the patrol bike brake lights?

Specifically, this guy:

"Where did you run the cable once its mounting frame was attached to the fender?"

Looks like some large holes are needed to get the cable's connector (black thing) up to the connection where it Tees into the accessory socket and one clip in on the brake light lead. Maybe under the fender? Typical BMW instructions aren't very clear.

<bike's not nearby for sundry reasons... >

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 9:17 am
Enthusiast

I installed one. I had a good laugh with the Ride West Service Manager on how "easy" it was to mount. There is a very small opening near the left side of the tail light. You need to remove and/or loosen the rear rail, rack, and plastic. Feed the wiring through that and then follow the existing wiring down to the power socket. It works great once you get it installed. Oh, and drill a big hole in the plate holder too.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 9:31 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abercrombie_pafoofnick
I installed one. I had a good laugh with the Ride West Service Manager on how "easy" it was to mount. There is a very small opening near the left side of the tail light. You need to remove and/or loosen the rear rail, rack, and plastic. Feed the wiring through that and then follow the existing wiring down to the power socket. It works great once you get it installed. Oh, and drill a big hole in the plate holder too.
I assume that you are talking about the accessory outlet "power socket". ?
I have a Centech fuse block mounted uner the seat and I am thinking of getting my pwer from there. I assume the 3rd wire that clips to the bulb socket is easy? ( One never assumes anything is easy on a BMW).
I am also wondering if it also works with the Kissan tailblazer bulbs installed. More light !!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 9:35 am
Enthusiast

Yes sir - the accessory socket. All the connections are easy. It's running the wires in inconspicuous spots that is the difficult part.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 7:35 pm
Rookie

Does this work with the 2009 GT? I thought I had seen that they had changed the brake light/running light to use the same filament and PWM to run the brake light at a higher intensity, which would seem to require a special connection and/or part. I'm hoping I am misinformed . . .

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 8:30 pm
Enthusiast

It works at a running light and a brake light with my 2008. I think it flashes like 4 times before going to solid brake light - too fast to count. I would think it would work with the 2009. If I can find the part numbers I'll post them.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:40 pm

please give us the BMW part numbers and cost so we can think about this mod too... did you get it from a BMW parts department??
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 8:01 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Here's the website. LINK
There are several different models from the pull down on the page with the BMW part numbers. Didn't see an '09 on it though.

I would call Sierra BMW and ask them as they are pretty up to date on how their stuff goes together and with what model. Mine came in two parts: the light, and the wiring harness for whatever bike.

Mack
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 8:38 am
Enthusiast

BM B95 LED Brake Light Deluxe 1 63000445578
BM B95 Harness B 1 61000445580

I ordered them from Chicago BMW and got 20% off. Just an FYI.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2009, 8:15 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abercrombie_pafoofnick
Lemmy get this straight.

So the lead off the LED Brake Light unit actually goes through a big hole (you drilled) in the plate holder (fender) and up (between the fender and tire) and into the area ahead of the rear tail-light lens? So the wires and the plug-together connector are between the fender and tire then? Correct?

I hate drilling holes in the fender's plastic, but at least it might be hidden.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode