Wind and Handling - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Wind and Handling

HI

I've got 3500 K on my 09 KGT and have a question for more experienced riders...

My bike seems to be really sensitive to wind at hiway speeds. I ride 2 up with the larger top box... Even a mild wind can push the bike so I'm constantly feel as if I'm 'weaving' down the road instead of staying on one, straight path. It has Metzler tires and an Aeroflow windscreen (which provides great protection - I don't battered by the wind - just the bike moves sideways .... )

I'm wondering if anyone else has had that experience? Is the bike too light? If so, can I add something to make it heavier? Is there a driving technique I need to learn? I'm open to whatever more experienced drivers may think.

.. or should I just 'get used to it'? :-)

Thanks

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 10:41 am
Enthusiast

Two up and the top box gives the wind a good size surface to push around. How does it feel with the rider and no top box? Try changing the ESA to "sport" and see if that helps.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 10:39 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodsonb
...... or should I just 'get used to it'? :-)

Thanks

Brian
Yes.

Let it run side to side without a death grip. You'll find yourself zig and zagging and diving into the next gust. If that makes any sense.

All that plastic makes a giant sail. Add a top case and another person and it's worse. I've managed to make it through 60 to 70 mph side winds and survive, but it wasn't fun. Anything over 30 to 40 mph and I tend to get off the road asap.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 12:33 am
Veteran

Mine goes really nice and straight even in windy conditions. Almost always 1 up. ESA set to 1 up and comfort.
Gilly
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 5:56 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Yes.

Let it run side to side without a death grip. You'll find yourself zig and zagging and diving into the next gust. If that makes any sense.

All that plastic makes a giant sail. Add a top case and another person and it's worse. I've managed to make it through 60 to 70 mph side winds and survive, but it wasn't fun. Anything over 30 to 40 mph and I tend to get off the road asap.

I think Robert_W is on target.

I was out yesterday on mine only 1 up and noticed some of the same. There were big wind gusts though, and the impact did not feel excessive to me although I was having to fight the wind a bit. I have a Cee Baileys tall/wide screen on it with the 49l top box too, so it was not unexpected.

This is something you just have to get used to.

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 8:17 am
Addict

My first bike with a large fairing was my RT, and in all types of weather I always had great protection, but that comes with a price. The same fairing which protects you, and gives us all that nice cocoon of still air operates like a sail in windy conditions. When I got the GT I didn't notice any difference. Best advice is already posted here, go with it, try to relax, let the bike oscillate a bit with the wind.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:15 am
Addict

It's the 49L top box... that thing is a giant sail. For me instability in wind is clearly noticeable with it and hardly noticeable without it.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 11:15 am

Topbox

+1 on the 49L topbox. With a big screen, topbox installed, a little highway turbulence all combine to get the front end dancing for me.

K1300GT
R1200GSA
R90S
R80 G/S PD
R75/5
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 5:25 pm

Blow me down....

+2 on the top box...try takin the canned ham and water jugs out of the box..keep it as light as you can to keep the weight distributuon somewhat lower..its really handy but also really too easy to pack heavy

kbikeinbc
07 crystal grey met
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Good Ideas

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

- Don't use the big box unless you need to.
- If you do need to use the big top box - pack it light
- Set the suspension to a setting stiffer than you normally would
- Relax my grip and allow the bike to 'weave'

Bottom line for me is:
I just paid $30K for an 'ultimate touring' bike that handles erratically at hiway speeds when there are winds present :-)
Go figure!
I know that's a bit extreme, but so is oncoming traffic ....

Appreciate all of your feedback.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode