Noisey engine/drive train - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 12:22 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Noisey engine/drive train

I tried to find this on the search, but no luck.
I ride with ear plugs and a helmet with mp3/radio. So I never hear anything. I went to a resort town that is in a no helmet state and the speed limit is 25 mph. So a few of us rode through town with out helmets( I felt like a renegade). I was suprized at how much noise this thing makes, a lot of whine and the tranny does CLUNK. I have not heard another GT so I don't know if it is common noises or not. I'm just going to ride it and if it breaks , I'll worry about it then. I know a lot has been said about these things but after a 600 mile ride the other day, I'm still in love with this bike

Cheers
Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 1:59 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick
I was suprized at how much noise this thing makes, a lot of whine and the tranny does CLUNK. I have not heard another GT so I don't know if it is common noises or not.
They all do that - even in the PR video. You can avoid most of the clunking with practice, but I can't seem to avoid the neutral-to-first clunk no matter what I try. Not a big deal.

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 10:33 pm
Veteran

Yup, the noises are normal and I can completely relate. I ride 99.99% of the time with the same, .....plugs, earphones, full face etc. But MT has no helmet law and every once in a while I ride the mile into town, 25 mph with nothing on the noggin and yes sir....it's loud, clunky, whinny,.....but normal.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 12:07 am
Veteran

Yeah. Unfortunately, they all do that. It's a damn noisy bike even under a fairing.

I needed to put a muffler on the microphone I use on on-board video cams I use to get rid of some of the engine/tranny racket. I put a fuzzy on the mike and pointed it towards the rear muffler opening which helps a lot with the wind noise and general engine racket.

I have a clip of the video and audio of the way I use the fuzzy mike on this post:
Cop in hiding near Portola, CA There is a shot of the fuzzy mike (Wind Muff) in the same Photography forum under "Video on a Bike.".

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode