Serious tire problem?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 1:25 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Serious tire problem??

OK I had new tires mounted to the GT, Michelin Pilot Road 2, "B" spec rear. Rode it home, then today I noticed that in one spot it seems as if the tire isn't seated correctly, I'm going to take it back and have the installer look at it but I am seriously pissed since I really don't think I should ride on it, it's the weekend and now I ain't gonna be riding! Has anyone ever seen this before , opinions??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01385-1.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	10665   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01389-2.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	10666  

Last edited by Erik; Jul 4th, 2009 at 1:31 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 2:47 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
OK I had new tires mounted to the GT, Michelin Pilot Road 2, "B" spec rear. Rode it home, then today I noticed that in one spot it seems as if the tire isn't seated correctly, I'm going to take it back and have the installer look at it but I am seriously pissed since I really don't think I should ride on it, it's the weekend and now I ain't gonna be riding! Has anyone ever seen this before , opinions??
Looking at the second picture, follow the reference line on the tire around 180 degrees. If the line has the same distance to the rim all the way around except where it is the largest distance at bottom they probably damaged the tire mounting it.
If the line becomes closer to the rim 180 from the problem area than the tire is not centered.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 2:49 pm

I agree, I would not ride this tire other than back to the installer.

That being said, can you pull the wheel deflate the tire, break the bead in that area, inspect for damage, and hopefully just re seat the bead?? Not unusual to have to re seat beads on M/C tires upon initial inflation.

Good Luck with that!

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 2:56 pm
Veteran

That bulge out from the rim does look a bit odd.

If you don't have the means to break it down, I'd also take it back. Let us know what it was.

Don't feel bad. I ain't riding either this weekend due to other bike maintenance issues. Besides, it's too damn hot.

Mack
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 3:04 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
That bulge out from the rim does look a bit odd.

If you don't have the means to break it down, I'd also take it back. Let us know what it was.

Don't feel bad. I ain't riding either this weekend due to other bike maintenance issues. Besides, it's too damn hot.

Mack
Raining STILL here in Vermont.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks guys. The reference line is equal all the way around the tire, and equal all the way around on the non effected side. It is only pulled away ( lack of a better term) in the one area that is shown. Since it's the 4th and there are NO bike stores open, I took the wheel up to Pep Boys got some nice kids to help me out, we deflated the tire and used the tire machine to break the bead, then re inflated it, stayed the same.. They thought it might just be a bad tire, For numerous reasons, I really, really, really don't want it to be a damaged tire, since the person who installed it's ego would never allow him to accept that he f'ed it up... I'm going to have to wait until Monday now and take it to another shop to have them look at it. And I'll just have to stay off the bike until then, it might be fine (I rode it 30 miles home) but it's just not worth the risk of having it fail.. I am just so pissed off I'm going to lose today and tomorrow's riding..
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 3:08 pm
Enthusiast

I would say then that they damaged the cords in that spot when they mounted it. Get them to give you a new tire. That sucks.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 3:15 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
....Since it's the 4th and there are NO bike stores open, I took the wheel up to Pep Boys got some nice kids to help me out...
Wow! You got bike shops near you open on Mondays?

Most here are closed Sunday and Monday. They order parts Tuesday AM so I usually need to get to them first thing Tuesday AM so it might show up on Friday (might). A lot of them closed early Friday (for the upcoming 4th), and then were also closed Sat. (4th) and made it a MotoGP to Laguna Seca Raceway. Nice 4 day weekend for a lot of them.

Mack
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 3:19 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Unfortunately the guy who mounted the tire is a friend who has a private BMW repair shop. This fellow has a BIG EGO and will never admit that he damaged the tire.. and I think it would be hard to prove it. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to buy another tire and send this one back to Motorcycle Super Store where I bought it and let them send it back to Michelin for a real diagnosis. If Michelin determines it was damaged in mounting I'll try and recoup the cost from this person. What really just pissed me off is that in trying to save some cash I'll probably end up f'ing my self for more $$ than what I saved, money that I really don't have to be pissing away..F,F,F,F,F!!!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 4:38 pm
Addict

Maybe the tire is not damaged, but don't ride on it since the bead is clearly not seated correctly. Have them remove, and re-install that tire, making sure to use plenty of lube when they do. Mark that spot, and check the inside of the tire for damage once it's off the rim. They may have damaged the inside of the rim, and that can prevent the bead from seating all the way.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode