HELP! Gas tank won't fit back in! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:23 am Thread Starter
Veteran

HELP! Gas tank won't fit back in!

For some reason, the gas tank will not fit back in!

Appears to sit maybe 1/2" back and 1/2" up from the front rubber mount and bushings. If I force it down, I can hear air rushing in and out of the vent at the top.

Seems like a rubber hose is under the tank but I don't see one that could be the cause.

I also disconnected the new Q.D. fuel line, small hose, and wiring and it still will not go forward and down. The metal ring strikes the rear of black battery mount on the way down. Not much room in the area which is why I needed to pull the battery to do the Power FRK thing.

Any ideas from the group?

Fwiw, the tank did spring a leak and has since been fixed. I made a mistake of leaving it out in the heat, which pressurized the tank (I sealed the openings), so I don't know if it was molded back into some mysterious bulbous shape. I hate to force it all down and bolt it up unless that is the norm.

TIA.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 12:38 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Well SOB!

The G.D. damn gas tank has expanded by 1 inch since it's been off the bike!

Just measured across the front mounting plates on the bike: 16 1/4".

The tank's mounting tabs with grommets and bushings, measure 17 1/4" (inside) meaning I would have to tighten them in by ONE WHOLE INCH!

The friggen gas tank apparently has expanded while resting in the 103 degree heat while waiting for the sealant to dry on the new quick fuel disconnects. No wonder the tanks inhales and exhales like it was getting CPR when I tried installing it. A new tank is $750. The 2008 tanks are more at $850. Same fuel pump mounting stuff, so who knows what fuel tank stuff has changed for the 2006 to 2008 year.

Damn BMW cheap-ass plastic crap!

Might just try and wedge and cram all I can to get the fricking thing back in there somehow. So what if it's bulging out all over like a balloon. This bike has been a real $$$ whore POS compared to the old R1100RT.

</rant...sorry...just very pissed!>

Mack
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 3:38 pm
Enthusiast

Was the tank vented while off the bike. You know how a plastic 5 gallon gas can builds pressure and expands when closed up in the heat.
Shouldn't be a problem wedging it back in the bike, should go back to original size in time I would think.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 8:59 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
Was the tank vented while off the bike. You know how a plastic 5 gallon gas can builds pressure and expands when closed up in the heat.
Shouldn't be a problem wedging it back in the bike, should go back to original size in time I would think.
As to question #1, no I errantly sealed off the vents with a little plastic tire stem cap thinking of debris and or gas leaks while it sat in the backyard (103 degrees in the shade) for the sealant on the new metal quick disconnect to dry. Hence the subsequent fuel leak too (since fixed...I hope!).

I never would have thought one of those lame plastic tire stem caps would have caused such a tight seal but it did. I heard the whoosh! when I pulled the cap off the top tank vent. The long brass one on the pump housing just got some electrical tape. Don't know what that one is for, but it doesn't leak nor express any air or gas?.

Appears that the tank has now grown in size by about an inch (or more) in circumference since off the bike. I can easily get my fingers between the "wings" where the front of the tank mounts to the frame as it has spread apart that much. Now I got a rare 7+ gallon tank for a GT if anyone needs one.

I'm going to try and use some ratchet straps on it and pull it back down to size to fit the bike. I don't know if that will work. It inhales and exhales (smells like gas too) like someone getting CPR when trying to wedge it into the frame. Funny part is I got an extended warranty on something that probably isn't covered due to my own stupidity for not thinking the tank would swell up and deform.

I don't want to order a new $800 gas tank now since the UPS driver once told me his truck was near 180 degrees inside one past summer. That can't do well for the blow-molded tank in general, nor would it do it any good sitting on a hot porch for a few hours around here. Never heard of a gas tank being shipped on ice before. Probably best leave it for a winter-time order.

Might be time to tarp-off this bike as a "Project Bike" for next winter and use the tank money as a down payment for a Ducati instead.

Mack
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2009, 10:49 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Might be time to tarp-off this bike as a "Project Bike" for next winter and use the tank money as a down payment for a Ducati instead.
Mack
Ouch!! But then you have incurred the strangest things.
I hope you can get it back to size. You may have to put the strap on it and leave it out in the sun for awhile to soften the plastic.
Let us know how you make out.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2009, 11:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
I don't want to order a new $800 gas tank now since the UPS driver once told me his truck was near 180 degrees inside one past summer. That can't do well for the blow-molded tank in general, nor would it do it any good sitting on a hot porch for a few hours around here. Never heard of a gas tank being shipped on ice before. Probably best leave it for a winter-time order.
Long as it is not sealed up (and a new tank would not be when shipped) you should be fine. May even be good to have a nice pliant tank to have it fit in easier .

I am wondering if you have it vented well (cap off even) and leave it in the sun for a while and then try to put it back on (wear gloves so you don't get blisters) if you will have better luck getting things pushed back into place. Next question, will the Tupperware still fit over it?

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Seems a bit wierd to me??
Many plastics have a "memory" of the shape into which they were formed from their molten state. I would guess that the tank was either blow or rotation moulded... not that it makes a big deal. It's probably worth emptying it and letting it warm up again. Maybe you could even create a slight vacuum to help it on its way?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2009, 7:52 pm
Addict

One Word....MeatLocker. Freeze that puppy and it will shrink.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2009, 7:59 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_C
Seems a bit weird to me??
Many plastics have a "memory" of the shape into which they were formed from their molten state. I would guess that the tank was either blow or rotation molded... not that it makes a big deal. It's probably worth emptying it and letting it warm up again. Maybe you could even create a slight vacuum to help it on its way?
Paul, you think like my brother. He likes crap like this and he's on it. He thinks it will take shape back to it's original - or close enough - due to the plastic's memory also. His plan is too soften it up with hot towels (i.e. the gas tank gets a facial) and apply a bit of vacuum too with a Might-Vac hand pump. It's a lot cooler out today (93) than the 103-105 degree day where it bulged a bit since I sealed it up tight. The hot towels are soaking now.

He was also wondering about ice towels too since some car dealers use those along with dry ice to pop dents out of cars.

I'll leave him to his own devices as I can't stand looking at it any more. Fingers crossed.

Mack
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 9:39 am

Any joy yet??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode