General Brake question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 3:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Cool General Brake question

Well, I now have 22k on the GT and need to replace the rear brake pads. The sensor light came on (just as I got down to Suches, GA - Deals Gap area) at 19k with a reasonable amount of pad left. ( was So, I have a couple of questions : Are any of you using an aftermarket pad? (DP, EBC, etc) Does the sensor light have to be reset by a dealer? and anyone know how the sensor works? Does it complete a circuit when it hits the rotor or does it open a circuit? I noticed the light on pretty quick and removed the sensor and didn't know if it was reusable.....just barely scuffed. Also, I thought it was kinda odd the the rear pads need replacing before the fronts. On most all my other bikes have been the fronts first. I am not hard on the brakes either.

nybmw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 4:23 pm
IBR# 366

You can get EBC brake pads for the new GT. The rear pads are FA438HH, the front left pads are FA335HH, and the front right pads are FA441HH. The bad news is that while these pads do have the provision to fit a new sensor wire, EBC doesn't make replacement wires (even though they do list part numbers for the wires). I went all the way up to the EBC factory in the UK to get that answer. I ended up reusing a sensor wire from an old worn pair of factory brake pads.

The good news is that you can get all three sets of pads for about the cost of one set of factory pads (about $40 for each EBC set versus $135 from BMW). But you'll have to reuse your old wire, or jumper out the sensor wire so that you don't get the constant brake pad warning light on the dash.

Note that the only difference between the FA441HH front right pads and the FA335HH front left pads is that the FA441HH pads have a cutout to fit the sensor wire. So if you don't care about the brake pad warning light, those two part numbers are interchangeable.

Do a Google search for the specific FA part numbers and you'll get lots of hits. I ordered from PowerSport Superstore when they had a sale last December. Two full sets of pads ran me $159.95 delivered, which is six sets of pads for the cost of one set of the BMW pads. The caveat is that they mis-packed one pair of pads, and it took 6 weeks to sort that out (holiday delays and all). Still, the pads work great and I couldn't beat the price.

Note: I just checked PowerSport Superstore and it looks like the pads are on sale again for under $30 each set. I don't think you can beat that price anywhere else.

As for your other questions, it depends. Some earlier versions of software require a dealer reset of the brake pad warning light, or you could get a GS-911 tool to do it yourself. Some later versions of software will read the new sensor wire and reset the light by itself.

The sensor is just a loop of stiff wire that wears through, so an open circuit triggers the light. I have been able to reuse factory sensor wires that weren't worn through yet with the EBC pads. I've also been able to resolder a broken wire and reuse that with success.

Also remember that the GT has partially-Integral brakes, meaning that even if you only used the front lever and never touched the rear pedal, the bike would still apply some rear brake under certain conditions.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode