Installation of Centech Fuse panel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 7:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile Installation of Centech Fuse panel

I just purchased a Centech fuse panel, but I have a limited knowledge on how to install it. It mentions to wire the relay to the tail light, but I am not sure how to do this without setting the whole thing on fire. The rest seems pretty straight forward. Suggestions would be appreciated. Looked in the HoW but did not come away with confidence. I am not electrically gifted, so be kind with the comments. Or better yet, if someone lives in Spokane and would assist me, food and your favorite beverage would be provided...(i should have paid more attention in school).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 7:54 pm
IBR# 366

You don't want to use the tail light tap on the GT. The CanBus system makes it different than other bikes.

You have three basic options, depending on when you want the fuse block to turn on and off.

1) Tie into the factory GPS lead which is located in front of the battery. This will turn the fuse block on with the key, and keep it on a minute or two after you turn off the key. There is a BMW wiring harness available which means you wouldn't have to cut any wires.

2) Tie into the parking light lead at the top of the headlight. This will turn the fuse block on with the key, and off with the key. There is an aftermarket wiring harness available which means you wouldn't have to cut any wires.

3) Tie into the main low beam headlight feed. This won't turn the fuse block on until the engine is running, and will turn it off with the key. There is no wiring harness available so you would have to cut into the low beam wire.

The details of the installation depend obviously on which way you go. It isn't terribly difficult either way, but if you're not absolutely sure of what you're doing, then get someone who is. Even if you have to pay them, as it's much cheaper than messing up the bike's wiring.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 1:31 am
Noob

The GPS lead Ken mentioned looks like this:

The BMW connector you install on it looks like this:

You trigger your aftermarket relay with the wire in your new connector that corresponds with the red/white wire on the bike side of the connector. Factory clean and easy as pie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 1:42 pm
Noob

Connector

Doc, where do you get the connector? Or what is the part # to order it from Chicago BMW?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the information and pics. I will look into the wiring harness. If it still looks confusing, I will pay now rather than pay later.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotsguy
Doc, where do you get the connector? Or what is the part # to order it from Chicago BMW?

Part number is top right.

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 9:22 pm
Noob

Connector

Thanks Bob, dang that little piece is $21 according to Max's Parts Fisch
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:13 pm
IBR# 366

Nice diagram, Bob. Very helpful. But I need to correct something.

Pin 2 (Blue with Green trace) is not a switched 12V power source. It is a Speed Pulse signal, which gives out a square pulse with the frequency modulated depending on speed. This Speed Pulse signal is used on some integrated gps units to help calibration when you lose signal (a tunnel, heavy trees, etc.). The vast majority of the bolt-on gps units don't have a vehicle Speed Pulse input, so just leave it unconnected.

And for that reason, it is not a good signal to use for a relay trigger or to power any other device.

So use the Power and Ground wires, but cut off or ignore the Speed Pulse wire.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2009, 7:24 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Nice diagram, Bob. Very helpful. But I need to correct something.

Pin 2 (Blue with Green trace) is not a switched 12V power source. It is a Speed Pulse signal, which gives out a square pulse with the frequency modulated depending on speed. This Speed Pulse signal is used on some integrated gps units to help calibration when you lose signal (a tunnel, heavy trees, etc.). The vast majority of the bolt-on gps units don't have a vehicle Speed Pulse input, so just leave it unconnected.

And for that reason, it is not a good signal to use for a relay trigger or to power any other device.

So use the Power and Ground wires, but cut off or ignore the Speed Pulse wire.
Ken,

Thanks for the explanation. I tried using pin #2 on my K1300GT and it did not work, and I now know why!

Since this diagram is from the older K12GT, did that wire's function change perhaps?

Anyway, using pin 3 to drive my "Fuzeblock" results in the newly added, non-CANBUS stuff remaining powered on for about 60 seconds after the key is turned off. I don't find this to be a problem although I can imagine that I may want to shut my Valentine 1 off immediately under certain circumstances!

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2009, 8:33 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Bob
....Anyway, using pin 3 to drive my "Fuzeblock" results in the newly added, non-CANBUS stuff remaining powered on for about 60 seconds after the key is turned off. I don't find this to be a problem although I can imagine that I may want to shut my Valentine 1 off immediately under certain circumstances!

I can see that happening at the wrong time too.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode