Pricing of the New GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Pricing of the New GT

I for one went to my BMW dealer to ask about a Pre-Order price for the 06GT, and I was told it would be MSRP. BBWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

I then headed down to the Yamaha dealership and ordered a new Yamaha FJRAE (Automatic) for $12,999 which MSRP'd for $15,100.......BMW dealers have lost their minds if they think they can sell a $20K+ bike for MSRP.....Just wait, as those greedy BMW dealership's floors start filling up with bikes not moving, you should be able to get at least $3K knocked off of MSRP.

What kind of price have you guys been quoted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by downn2
I for one went to my BMW dealer to ask about a Pre-Order price for the 06GT, and I was told it would be MSRP. BBWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

I then headed down to the Yamaha dealership and ordered a new Yamaha FJRAE (Automatic) for $12,999 which MSRP'd for $15,100.......BMW dealers have lost their minds if they think they can sell a $20K+ bike for MSRP.....Just wait, as those greedy BMW dealership's floors start filling up with bikes not moving, you should be able to get at least $3K knocked off of MSRP.

What kind of price have you guys been quoted?
I would try another dealer, the ones in my region will negotiate on new or used.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 8:58 am
Veteran

I have the FJR1300AE, (gotta keep the faith up, not automatic but clutchless) on order also. Looks like one hell of a bike but the GT looks a tad better with the cruise etc.

I have concluded that there is something to the BMW 'Mystique'. Might be the Roundel, might be the automotive mystique spreading to motorcycles (tho' cycles came first), or perhaps the 'snob' appeal/exclusivity of the BMW name. Whatever! But assuredly I believe you may be mistaken . . . the GT's will sell, perhaps not to NEW markets, but the BMW afficianados (most) will buy! Also, don't forget the 3 year warranty altho' I think Yamamamamamama has a 400 dollar or so extended warranty!

Good luck . . . hmmm, perhaps the FJR1300AE AND K1200GT bling bling!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 9:17 am Thread Starter

The problem I have with BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I have the FJR1300AE, (gotta keep the faith up, not automatic but clutchless) on order also. Looks like one hell of a bike but the GT looks a tad better with the cruise etc.

I have concluded that there is something to the BMW 'Mystique'. Might be the Roundel, might be the automotive mystique spreading to motorcycles (tho' cycles came first), or perhaps the 'snob' appeal/exclusivity of the BMW name. Whatever! But assuredly I believe you may be mistaken . . . the GT's will sell, perhaps not to NEW markets, but the BMW afficianados (most) will buy! Also, don't forget the 3 year warranty altho' I think Yamamamamamama has a 400 dollar or so extended warranty!

Good luck . . . hmmm, perhaps the FJR1300AE AND K1200GT bling bling!

Is not only the Dealer's unwillingness to negotiate, but THE DEALER himself who also a Franchise dealer for I don't know 5 other makes of foreign made Bikes, including British & Italian!.......Anyone of which is a real pain to keep running.....My question is, how on earth can a mechanic keep up with all the recalls, service bulletins from all those manufactures, when keeping up with BMW in itself is so complicated alone. And I feel certain most of the Dealers are too cheap to spend the money to send their mechanics to Germany for a month to become certified technician, thus properly learn the bikes.....I think this is the REAL ANSWER as to why I see all the complaints in here about BMWs having staying in the shop for weeks if not months.....and when they do get out, the problem hasn't been resolved.....NO thanks!!! Yea, it's kewl to drive the most expensive bike to keep running........but I wouldn't see that many people who'd know what I was ridding anyway on my way back and forth to/from the shop as it's in the outskirts of Dallas...

And they want me to have to put up with all of that and PAY MSRP? They're NUTS!
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:23 pm

Quote:
And I feel certain most of the Dealers are too cheap to spend the money to send their mechanics to Germany for a month to become certified technician, thus properly learn the bikes.....I think this is the REAL ANSWER as to why I see all the complaints in here about BMWs having staying in the shop for weeks if not months.....and when they do get out, the problem hasn't been resolved.....NO thanks!!! And they want me to have to put up with all of that and PAY MSRP? They're NUTS!
Whew! Snipped some of this stuff to provide my information.

There are two dealers in the Seattle Area, Ride West and Southsound BMW. Training and certification to work on BMW motorcycles takes place in California, not Spandau. Sheesh.

My K-S was delivered last May with a defective ABS module. My dealer, at no cost to me, flatbedded my bike to the dealership and in two work days the K-S trained techs had dissasembled the bike and completely replaced the defective braking system with a new one. The bike was thoroughly roadtested at the dealership and returned to me in the same trailer that retrieved the bike. The abs system has worked flawlessly over the next 5,000 miles.

I was so impressed with the excellence of this highly trained team, that I delivered something of my own - a ten lb box of Boehm chocolates to the dealership. On two different occasions the General Mgr. of the dealership called to follow-up on their work.

While this was going on, this General Mgr. informed me that BMWNA "REQUIRED" each dealership to send at least one Tech to get "certified" on the K-S before "ANY" K-S's were delivered to a dealership.

He also said the abs module transplant was made easier (and could be accompolished more quickly) compared to previous BMW motorcycles. It seems BMW engineers in the design stages insured that the bike be made exceptionally easy to work on.

The diagnostic equipment at the shop (which each dealership is required to obtain) when hooked to the K-S can tell before any work is carried out whether the valves need adjustment. It's also been brought to my attention that these bikes are routinely going past 24,000 miles w/o the need for this type of activity.

Yeah right - Yamahammer whatever. Another Sheesh.

Oh yes, four weeks ago, I wandered into the local Honda dealership to meet a friend who was considering an ST1300 that was on sale for "thousands less" than an RT. Man, we finally got to this dust ridden thing after stumbling over a collections of ATV's, left over jet-skis, generators; but I have to tell you, the lawnmowers were just as red as some of the bikes - when you find them. Oh, by the way - no test ride - unless of course you wanted to try out the mower. A third Sheesh! And when it was time to leave, the "Parts" guy was outside literally drooling on my K-S. "Damn, I'd love to trade my VFR on one of these....."

Miles
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 1:41 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
And when it was time to leave, the "Parts" guy was outside literally drooling on my K-S. "Damn, I'd love to trade my VFR on one of these....."
Priceless!!!
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 2:07 pm
Veteran

Honestly, I got the same response from the folks at the Yamamamama dealership AND HD dealership when I showed with the 12S. They were all circling the 12S like it was a legendary cycle!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 2:19 pm
Addict

Quote:
Is not only the Dealer's unwillingness to negotiate, but THE DEALER himself who also a Franchise dealer for I don't know 5 other makes of foreign made Bikes, including British & Italian!.......Anyone of which is a real pain to keep running.....My question is, how on earth can a mechanic keep up with all the recalls, service bulletins from all those manufactures, when keeping up with BMW in itself is so complicated alone. And I feel certain most of the Dealers are too cheap to spend the money to send their mechanics to Germany for a month to become certified technician, thus properly learn the bikes.....I think this is the REAL ANSWER as to why I see all the complaints in here about BMWs having staying in the shop for weeks if not months.....and when they do get out, the problem hasn't been resolved.....NO thanks!!! Yea, it's kewl to drive the most expensive bike to keep running........but I wouldn't see that many people who'd know what I was ridding anyway on my way back and forth to/from the shop as it's in the outskirts of Dallas...

And they want me to have to put up with all of that and PAY MSRP? They're NUTS!
Huuuuuum! I guess you've never bought a Harley in the last 15 - 20 years. Paying MSRP for a Harley considered a real bargin back then. But times are changing, slowing but surely.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 2:33 pm
Enthusiast

Talking service

i'm with Miles my service at martys in torrance was great now its at bmw long beach same great service

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 3:00 pm
Enthusiast

They will get MSRP on any new vehicle, because people need to have the latest and greatest one's available. Look at the new Mustang, or Ford GT. If, the dealer can get it, I can't blame him. Would I pay it? No! I would wait for the rush to be over and the bugs worked out. I think my 04GT is better looking, but I do think the new upgrades in power, seat design, and ergonomics would sway me. I wanted a new Mini Cooper S, when they came out. But, I didn't run to the Daewoo dealer and glout of the money I saved. I sat on a new FJR last week while looking for riding gear for my wife for Christmas. It felt small and toy like to me. And it certainly did not have the "presence" of my Beemer. But, to each his own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode