BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Avon Storms cheaper than PR2's? Where?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sheep 
#1 ·
Some of you guys....Meese, grif, others.....mentioned getting similar wear and performance out of the Avon Storms vs PR2's at a lower cost so I thought I might give them a try. But where are you getting them? Southwest moto has always been my go to cheap tire place but the prices for the storms vs PR2's are only 14 bucks different. The rear is identical.

So where's the great difference? Are they on to the secret or what? For 14 bucks I'm sticking with the PR2's.

#4 ·
I paid $280.90 shipped for a set of Storms last month. They were doing great until the rear picked up a chunk of metal at 2,400 miles. :(

FWIW, even if the PR2's were $20 or $50 cheaper, I still wouldn't buy them. The handling just goes off halfway through their tread life, and I simply didn't like riding on a set of tires that felt that bad.

But that's just me. ;)

G
#6 ·
Meese said:
.... FWIW, even if the PR2's were $20 or $50 cheaper, I still wouldn't buy them. The handling just goes off halfway through their tread life, and I simply didn't like riding on a set of tires that felt that bad.

But that's just me. ;)
My experience has been the opposite on an R12, but perhaps weight made difference (compared to your K). Still they put the Z6 Metzelers to shame as I easily got 50% more life out of PR2's and was riding harder on them than the Metz's. Took so much longer to flatten out centers, thus the handling in wet/dry was superior. Going to try PP2's on the K13s as I still need something to grip well in corners & high-speed curves as well as hold up on long, straight roadways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.