Tire Mounting Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2009, 3:22 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Tire Mounting Question

So, I have accumulated tire mounting equipment as discussed on this forum, Harbor Freight changer with motorcycle attachment, mojolever (bar) and mojoblocks, NAPA RuGlide tire mount lube, 3 tire irons, etc.

Yesterday I pulled the front wheel off the 08 GT, took off the old tire (very easy) using mojolever instructions and then mounted a new Bridgestone BT021 front tire with just some sweating and cussing for the last few inches of bead. Used tire iron for the last bit. No scratches on the rim

Took off the rear wheel, demounted the old tire (OE, BT020 worn to nothing at 10K), and then tried to get the new BT021 rear on the rim. Maybe I was tired from the front but with lots of lube it seems that rear was so tight that I would have to tear the bead to get it on, whether with the mojolever or using tire irons or finally both! I am exhausted and considering taking the rear to the shop for mounting as I literally hurt myself struggling with this thing.

Any tips to get the rear on?

So far I have done as above. I have also left the tire in the sun to heat up, used tons of lube and tried (not too well) to squeeze the tire into the center of the rim to create more slack at the area of the bead I am struggling with. Help.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2009, 5:11 pm

My experience is that this "struggle" comes from not getting the bead into the center well of the wheel. It's imperative that the bead drop into the well in order to get it on. I saw a picture where a guy used blocks of wood to wedge (hold) the bead down opposite of where he was working the iron. I'm going to try this next time. It's very difficult to keep the bead down in there with a stiff new tire and hand tools, but it's the magic trick. If you can get a helper (or 2), have him push down hard on the sidewall opposite the iron.

Last edited by Trout; Jul 14th, 2009 at 5:12 pm. Reason: More content.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2009, 6:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks, I'll try that some more...LAH

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2009, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Success! I stuck a couple of wooden block to hold the bead down in the well and lubed it up good and it popped right on. I'm more convinced now that there is a considerable amount of finesse combined with a bit of strength at the right times and NOT to just bull it on as you could damage the bead. Thanks for the suggestion.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2009, 7:35 pm
Addict

Once you learn the tricks, it doesn't take much effort at all. It sounds like you're almost there. I have the same setup as you with a couple of extra helpers. I use the Yellow thing and Tire lube paste from NoMar. Your wood block serves the same purpose as the Yellow thing. I use the RuGlide for breaking the beads and prelubing the tire for removal but I prefer the paste for installing the tires. I put the paste on both tire beads and then wipe the valley and upper lip of the rim with it. Watching the NoMar videos is really helpful in learning the last couple of tricks to make it a breeze.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/show/27

I also coated the rim holders of the HF with Plasti Dip so the rim doesn't slip and I don't have any metal touching the rim.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Rookie

Once you buy the No-Mar paste, the instructions are on the jar, you can mix some of it with water into a spray bottle and use that for removing the tires. It works very slick (pun intended). The Yellow thing is very helpful for a one man operation but keep the paste away from it or it won't grip the rim correctly.

'07 K1200GT
'98 R1100RT Sold
'00 Honda F4 Sold
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2009, 9:47 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait

I also coated the rim holders of the HF with Plasti Dip so the rim doesn't slip and I don't have any metal touching the rim.
Yes, I bought the mojoblocks (since I was getting the mojolever bar) which are hard plastic add-ons to the red metal harbor freight rim destroyer.

I must say I'm feeling pretty good since getting the two tires on, and happy that I will save $$$ on every tire change from here on.

Last time I had the BMW dealer sell me two tires at full list, plus mounting/balance for about $100 and I was out $500!! This time around I bought two tires for $250 (SW Moto) and bought the harbor freight, mojolever and blocks and some tire irons and lube for another $250, so I broke even. Next time it's just the tires so I am in the money,except for the 10 bottles of water and the band aids I used wrestling the beast on.

BTW: I rode those original BT020's for 10K miles and they were shot, Bad feathering on the front, and the rear actually wore square since most of my miles were on the slab. I was shopping low price so went with BT021's this time, but now that I am in savings with my own mounting I can afford (?) to get some fancier rubber next time (avons, michellin, etc)

Thanks for all the help and support.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Use this link to No-mar to see how they change the rear on a K12 bike: http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/showcase. They list links to tire changes on various bike rims. No matter what tire changing equipment you use it would be helpful to see.

You may find some of their products helpful in the changing your tires like the "Yellow Thing" which made my tire changes easier.

Good luck with the next change. I think the more we do it, the better we will get at it.

'12 K1600GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode