Clutch squeal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 11:25 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Clutch squeal

My '07 GT with a little less than 12K miles is beginning to have the clutch squeal loud enough that even I, with my 62 year old ears blasted by a lifetime of gunfire, can hear. My son went through this, and a dealership in San Diego did their best to work with him on it, and he still has it a little. Their fix was to take apart the clutch plates, clean them up, reorder them, and put it back together. They told him there was a fix in the works, but not out yet.

I'm only posting this in the event there's something new out there I haven't heard about yet. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 11:34 am
Would rather be riding

I have the same problem, bit over 20K miles now. I took it to the dealer at the start of June before my Canadian ride, 17K miles, but they claimed they couldn't reproduce it. They recommended slipping the clutch a bit to burn in the plates. (Yes, they did!) It's only been getting worse since then. When I have some time I plan on taking it in again. It's really easy to reproduce now just by holding the rear brake and letting the clutch out 'till it starts to grab, so I can demonstrate the noise on demand.

Worse than the noise though it that the clutch is now not always so smooth. It'll slide a bit then grab, makes the takeoff a little lurchy when it happens.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 12:18 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
Worse than the noise though it that the clutch is now not always so smooth. It'll slide a bit then grab, makes the takeoff a little lurchy when it happens.
That's not good news. I was under the impression that the noise was harmless albeit annoying. I didn't realize there was a change in clutch performance as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Warranty replacement

Hello Chuck,
Do you still have some warranty on this bike ? When I had the clutch squeal on my 2007, the shop replaced the whole clutch unit , without asking any questions. And it fixed the problem for a while. This is part of the reason why i swapped the 2007 for a 09 model.
I think the clutch design on the 07 is not flawless. Then again I wondered if it wasn't me that was being too rough on the pour clutch. With the 09 bike (which I intend to keep for another 20 years or so) I try to be very nice to the clutch. Should I ?
Have them replace the whole clutch with new parts, because BMW does know for sure they did not do a perfect job on it. In Europe BMW does not question the customer as does BMW NA.
Good luck
Andrť
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 2:24 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Hi Andre,

I'm always overwhelmed with the state of our world, where we can have near-instantaneous conversations on line with someone on the other side of the planet. Yes, in answer to your question, I have warranty left, plus extended warranty I purchased also, and a great relationship with my local dealership. I have an appointment to bring in the bike next Friday, and my plan is to just leave it and let them tinker with it for several days and see what they come up with. You're right that in the US there is a lot more resistance to take the customer's word than there appears to be in Europe (why is that, anyway? lawyers?).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 3:04 pm
IBR# 366

Read this thread, specifically post #9.

I'm not sure if it's a permanent fix, but mine is in the shop now getting it done. I figured at almost 95K miles, someone should go through the clutch plate by plate and check it all out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 4:32 pm

I have had this problem with my 07KGT for a good while, I spoke to service advisor last year and little was known about it then, no thinner sprocket at that time. I need to get my bike in for that and the cam chain fix also, I have the intermittent rattle on startup. Been to busy caring for my wife to do much riding let alone scheduling repairs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2009, 7:16 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Hi Andre,

I'm always overwhelmed with the state of our world, where we can have near-instantaneous conversations on line with someone on the other side of the planet. Yes, in answer to your question, I have warranty left, plus extended warranty I purchased also, and a great relationship with my local dealership. I have an appointment to bring in the bike next Friday, and my plan is to just leave it and let them tinker with it for several days and see what they come up with. You're right that in the US there is a lot more resistance to take the customer's word than there appears to be in Europe (why is that, anyway? lawyers?).
Chuck, I had "the noise", I had the larger oil nozzle done in 2007, had the plates replaced in 2008 and finally in 2009 they replaced everything, slave cylinder, plates, oil pump sprocket and chain and the noise disapeared.
Ive done around 5000ks since and cannot get it to replicate no matter how hard I try.
Good luck with your dealer, the 1300s dont do it so they have obviously fixed it but arent running out and asking owners to come in for a re-fit.
My dealer looked after me but only after continued pressure.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Squeal Gone!

Chuck,

I also had everything replaced. My 07GT squealed almost from the start. The dealer suggested I should change the oil weights and brands (10/40, 20/50, 15/50, 15/40) and I no success. The dealer asked me to try one last thing before they would warranty it and that was to follow the BMWNA recommendation to use BMW branded (spectro) 15/50 syn. That actually helped until the oil got around 1k miles on it then it was back. From 3k to 12k miles I only had the screech/squeal when the oil was really hot and i was heavy with a passenger or loaded up. Then at 12k miles it got so bad i could actually feel it in the clutch leaver and it did it all the time once the oil was warmed up. Never did it cold. With that the dealer replaced the entire clutch basket, slave cylinder, and oil pump sprocket. They told me my oil passage was already enlarged as it had the improvement from manufacture (12/06). Anyways, after 10k miles since the replacement (now 24k), it has never did again. As a side note, i ride rather hard and the clutch takes a beating. I also have used Castrol Syn 10/50 the whole time. IMO, once the clutch starts squealing, there is no solving it with oils. It has to be replaced. Maybe i screwed mine up during break-in, maybe not.

2007 K1200GT
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 2:06 am

Prognosis doctor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Read this thread, specifically post #9.

I'm not sure if it's a permanent fix, but mine is in the shop now getting it done. I figured at almost 95K miles, someone should go through the clutch plate by plate and check it all out.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode