K 1300 GT Back Rest/Top Case - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:58 pm Thread Starter

K 1300 GT Back Rest/Top Case

Hi,

I am brand new to this forum, Saturday I put money down on a 2009 K 1300 GT motorcycle. I test rode all the brands, Concours, ST, FJR, and the RT BMW, and I felt the K13 was the top of the heap regardless of what the Cycle World Testers Say. I cant even believe they are rating the suspensions equal between the Concours and the K1300! But that is not why I am posting, my wife likes to ride with me and we are needing either a top box, or a backrest. I don't want to upgrade the seat just yet, does anyone know if anyone makes a backrest that will fit this machine? Additionally I see one poster has mounted a Givi top box, I am just wondering how well that works, and what parts are involved in the mounting process.

Thank you,

Dratharr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Veteran

I'd go with the BMW 49 liter top box, maybe from Chicago BMW if you want a cheaper price and don't mind the wait. Get the BMW liners too if you want to travel with your wife. You cannot have too little storage room for the both of you - trust me! Then you get to have the same key to fit everything.

Then, look into getting the BMW bag and trunk liners too. They are very well made, stiff, have removable shoulder straps, and have molded rubber bottoms. Beats taking the side bags on and off the bike and banging them around the hallways, elevators, stairwells, and damaging them in the small rooms in hotels too.

Enjoy the new bike!

Mack
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:40 pm
Veteran

Here is a link to a thread about just a backrest (if you don't want or need a top case):
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16757

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 2:09 am
Addict

My wife loves the backrest on the 49 litre topbox.
Problem is she thinks she is on a Goldwing and every time I hit the gas I end up with daylight between the road and the front wheel. Sometimes a lot!

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:12 am
Noob

My wife loves the BMW 49 litre box as a backrest.

I should also say that she cursed the original BMW seat on my 2007 K1200 GT, but is more than happy on the Sargent seat.

GT Newbie
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 1:55 pm

I did not like the rounded look of the Givi on the sharp lined GT. I also like having one key for all cases and ignition and the BMW top box/case allows you to use your bike key for locking. BMW will cost more but is easy on and off, does a good job of providing plenty of storage and even with the silver color looks better on the GT than the Givi in my opinion.

I have bought my bag liners from RKA for my past few bikes and have been very pleased. Heavy duty but not so thick that they take up too much of your storage space. When I bought mine 2 years ago it was about 1/2 the price that BMW wanted and I liked the RKA as well or better. You can find them at this link: http://www.rka-luggage.com/A08%20BMW...T/K1200GT.html. Scroll down until you see the liner section. These work very well with my GT.

'12 K1600GTL
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 2:14 pm
Veteran

I am a fan of the 49 liter top case. It will hold a ton o' stuff, and has a good backrest.
It fits two helmets when you get where your going. It is simple to key it so that it matches your ignition key.

When mounted, it is very solid and it fits into the stock BMW rack. Best of all, it comes off easily when you don't need it.

Yes. It is expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion. Your dealer may give you a discount, since you just bought an expensive bike from them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
My wife loves the backrest on the 49 litre topbox.
Problem is she thinks she is on a Goldwing and every time I hit the gas I end up with daylight between the road and the front wheel. Sometimes a lot!
And that is a problem?

+1 on the 49 liter BMW case

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 8:26 pm
Rookie

My wife likes the BMW 49l case / backrest too

We just got back from a 2300 mile round trip to Johnson City, TN and my wife approves the 49l case / backrest. She likes it much better than what I had on my GS with the 35l top case.

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for all the great responses, I think we are going to go for the Back-Up option. I contacted Cee Bailey's a distributor to ask them if it fit my bike, and they said no. I then contacted SJ BMW they had one listed and they said it will definitely fit a 2009 K 1300GT so I am going to go through them. I wonder how many companies out their have employees who cost them hundreds, thousands, millions of dollars simply because the employees are uneducated, and are either too lazy, or too afraid to seek out an answer to a question that might seem out of the box? Anyway I will probably be getting the 49 liter top box as well in the future, but I might have to save a bit more for that one! Lets face it the bike is not exactly cheap! We test rode all of them, and as all of you know the K 1200/1300 GT is one very, very impressive machine. I am not going to get any sleep this week awaiting the arrival of my new bike Saturday!

Thanks again there is no substitute for experience!

Dratharr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode