Just got a K1200GT - have a few questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 5:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Just got a K1200GT - have a few questions

I had an 05' K12S which I traded last month for an 08' GT with demo miles that was never registered. I love it so far. 85% as much fun as the S and at least 50% more comfy and practical. I took it to the MOA rally last weekend and never felt so good after a full day of riding.

I have a few questions regarding my bike -

1) is it common for the handle bars to be just a touch off center on the GTs? In modern cars the steering column is intentionally offset just a touch so the airbag pushes you off to the side a bit. The handlebars are off center on the GT by a few mm. Its more noticeable with the nav mounted on the bars. Is this common and how difficult is this for a dealer to adjust?

2) I get some ticking in the engine at around 2,000-3,000 rpms when the throttle is closed or barely cracked and I'm slowing down or maintaining speed. It never occurs under throttle. Oil level is fine and it doesn't seem to be temperature dependent. Is this normal? It definitely wasn't there on the KS, but that engine had different tuning?

3) Brakes: I have to say I definitely preferred the servo brakes on the 2005 K. It was like hitting a wall when the boost kicked in. The GT's brakes are good, but definitely don't feel as strong. But, is it normal that they make scratching noises when you first pull the lever? The KS made robot noisesevery time you pulled the lever with the servo brakes but you couldn't hear it over the engine, only when the ignition was on and the was motor off. The noise onthe GT isn't coming from the rotors, it seems to be within the frame. Its like the noise an exhasut makes after you shut your car/bike off. like a pinging, but a bit scratchier. Is this normal? Also, is there anything that can be done to increase the brakes sensitivity so less pressure is required at the lever?

Thanks for any help with this. My local dealer is very new to BMW so it helps to pre-diagnose whenever possible.

Safe riding.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 6:19 pm
Rookie

1) is it common for the handle bars to be just a touch off center on the GTs? In modern cars the steering column is intentionally offset just a touch so the airbag pushes you off to the side a bit. The handlebars are off center on the GT by a few mm. Its more noticeable with the nav mounted on the bars. Is this common and how difficult is this for a dealer to adjust?

- The nav & mount are definitely off center. Do you see the bars as off-center if you don't use either as a reference?

2) I get some ticking in the engine at around 2,000-3,000 rpms when the throttle is closed or barely cracked and I'm slowing down or maintaining speed. It never occurs under throttle. Oil level is fine and it doesn't seem to be temperature dependent. Is this normal? It definitely wasn't there on the KS, but that engine had different tuning?

I haven't had any unusual sounds - there is much less mechanical noise than my R1150R had, but I never had a KS for comparison.

3) Brakes: I have to say I definitely preferred the servo brakes on the 2005 K. It was like hitting a wall when the boost kicked in. The GT's brakes are good, but definitely don't feel as strong. But, is it normal that they make scratching noises when you first pull the lever? The KS made robot noisesevery time you pulled the lever with the servo brakes but you couldn't hear it over the engine, only when the ignition was on and the was motor off. The noise onthe GT isn't coming from the rotors, it seems to be within the frame. Its like the noise an exhasut makes after you shut your car/bike off. like a pinging, but a bit scratchier. Is this normal? Also, is there anything that can be done to increase the brakes sensitivity so less pressure is required at the lever?

I don't notice any unusual ticking/clinking sounds. If it's very quiet, it might be the hydraulic lines moving under the pressure, or some mechanical noise at the slave end.

As far as sensitivity, I use two fingers to brake, and moving from a servo system, I have to set the brake lever almost all the way out to get enough sensitivity. I definitely like these better than the servos.

By the way, congrats on the new bike! I have had mine 6 weeks/4,000mi & it just keeps getting better

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 7:05 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I have an '07, and never noticed the bars off-center. I can't imagine that they would be.

No strange noises from the engine, and definitely none from the brakes. I had an '03 GT which had the servo-assist brakes, and they worked great, but the downside was no servo assist if the engine died. I like the '07 GT brakes and I think you will too once you get used to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 9:28 pm
Veteran

FYI, I bought my 2007 K1200GT in June 2007. It was made in April 2007.

1. Are you sure the handlebars are off center? If you have the BMW plastic GPS mount, then be aware that the screw holes are definitely off-center. Other mounts (like my Z-Technik) are centered just fine.

2. There is a ticking sound from my engine, too. I hear it at idle, and when riding. I don't know what it is, but all the dealers tell me that it is normal. I will be asking again at the 18K service.

3. Brake feel is subjective, but I think you will get used to the brakes over time. In a mixed class of 32 bikes, including Harleys, Ducatis, Hondas, sport bikes, cruisers, etc., my K1200GT made the shortest stops. Consistently. It beat the next bike by several feet, stopping from 25 mph and 35 mph to zero. Of course, I counted on the ABS to do the real work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode