If you thought the bike had problems, try selling one - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

If you thought the bike had problems, try selling one

I have a 2007 K1200GT with just a comment. If I thought it was dis heartening reading about all the problems after I bought mine. Have a few minor ones but never having a failure or getting stuck some where. I bought the bike to take my girl friend riding, long story short after surgery she can't comfortable ride.
So I decided to put it up for sale. This is about the trickest K1200GT I've seen lots of details and goodies, very clean, low mileage, and I bought it well.
If the ownership experience has been poor up to this point, it just fell off a cliff. Even taking a $5,000 loss, I'm not getting any calls. What a money pit. For a more or less nice bike with more issues than it should have (for its price). The lack of resale value is pathetic. $1,500.00 below book, and book being for a basic stock bike (mine $4K in trick stuff), and no movement. I'm keeping my M-Coupe but I don't see and other bimmer bike in my future (ever), and I've been riding for 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:08 pm

I have found that selling any high end item these days runs into the same problem. People need to finance stuff. They just can't pay cash for anything expensive for the most part. Those who can get loans don't want to take on the debt. If someone does have a lot of cash, I think they prefer to just go buy a new one. I think it's been that way for a long while now, even before the current recession. Try selling a recent low mileage car. Good luck unless it's a hard to get model, which is pretty hard to imagine these days. It also doesn't help that the current model is for the most part improved at least on the surface of it. Anyway, I hope you sell the bike. Have you listed on ebay or something? I think it would sell here in Southern California. Good luck with it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Rudy

It is on Cycle Trader. The local BMW dealer will finance someone for an additional $700.00. I tried consignment there, with no luck they had 3 used K's of their own they haven't been able to move. I knew the K13's coming out would slow things down but I never figured it would be this bad. I can feel for some of the folks that have posted here with their service problems. You don't want to even look at it anymore, make it go away, be done with it, and move on to something better. And I didn't even have I final drive fail, or the key switch antenna fail in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by crevenna; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 8:25 pm. Reason: my poor spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:46 pm
Addict

I'm not sure if I'm looking at your bike (the only 2007 K1200GT in the Albuquerque area on Cycle Trader) but if so I'm afraid that your asking price is still too high. I just paid a lot less for a very similar bike (same year and mileage), and there is a 2008 K1200GT with only 1600 miles and lots of accessories on IBMWR for the same asking price. That's admittedly a helluva deal but it's what you're up against. Not trying to chide you or anything BTW, just trying to help you move it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 7:12 am
Addict

I've got 48K on my '06 and have had no issues to speak of. I never had the high idle. I learned to cope with the jerky throttle at low speeds until the new air box was installed. I absolutely love this thing!

Now, as far a selling one, yeah the prices have really dropped. But, you're never going to get the money you put into it with the farkles. You're best bet is to pull those off and sell them separate.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 8:13 am
Rookie

Selling Bike

I sold the last three BMW bikes on this web site. http://www.ibmwr.org/market/ I used Cycletrader one time and didn't get one inquire. 3 bikes ago took 2 weeks, 2 bikes ago took 3 days and the last one took 1 day with 2 buyers. I had to go with the time on the e-mail to figure out which one got it. I always have the bike spotless with lots of really big pictures. Make sure they have high speed internet before you send them. Good Luck
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
But, you're never going to get the money you put into it with the farkles. You're best bet is to pull those off and sell them separate.
Great recommendation - I just did that exact thing when i traded my RT in - I took off the GPS and Autocom system and communicated that into the deal.

Too bad you have to sell your bike - but good luck on selling your bike.

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks stinkboater, great lead, didn't know of the site. I saw the 08 for 14k. Mine has a ton more stuff, but things are what they are. I've reduced mine again. I just don't want to get into the whole parting it out/back to stock and ebay and craigs list. I know I could get more that way, but it so nice the way it is it seems a shame to butcher it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 7:24 pm

Bike sales in general have fallen off a cliff. The economy is bad, unemployment is up, and those still employed are scared about becoming unemployed. People can't get home equity loans to spend gobs of fake money. To most, motorcycles are mostly optional recreational vehicles, not a necessity. Add to this the fact that you're talking about one of the highest priced models in a luxury brand and you can see why it's bad for sellers.

Also, the unemployed are probably selling off their vehicles to make ends meet, so you've also got more sellers increasing supply.

Less buyers + less jobs + less money + less credit + higher inventory = low prices.

As others have pointed out, you're also going to take a big hit trying to sell the farkles with the bike. The customizations you've done are extremely unlikely to be the same customizations someone else wants to pay for. Like everything else in life, to get the most cash you will have to do the most work and pull off that which can be pulled off and sold separately.

Sorry to lay a depressing dose of reality on you, but that's the way I see things now. It's a buyer's market. I don't think any of this is the bike's fault.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 8:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevenna
....... If the ownership experience has been poor up to this point, it just fell off a cliff. Even taking a $5,000 loss, I'm not getting any calls. What a money pit....The lack of resale value is pathetic. $1,500.00 below book, and book being for a basic stock bike (mine $4K in trick stuff), and no movement.
I feel your pain dude...see http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/1276959556.html & http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/1262125065.html Aside from a few "low ballers" and some nice banker from Nigeria who wanted to pay more than my asking price , I've had no real action so far. The last 3 BMWs I've sold (an RT, A GS and another GT) went quickly to the first bidder and all required shipping the bikes >1000 Miles. Guess it's a whole new economy these days...let' s hope our bikes sell soon as I think I hear winter coming up the mountain

Coach
North Conway, N.H.

'09 R200GS
'10 Triumph Tiger-SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode