K1300GT Cruise Control Switch Popped off! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 8:55 am Thread Starter
Rookie

K1300GT Cruise Control Switch Popped off!

During some heavy thunderstorms last Wednesday night just west of Jackson Tennessee, I managed to knock off my cruise control on/off slider. This was awful as I had about 1900 more miles to go without cruise control or a throttle lock.

In the morning, I called the Nashville BMW dealer and told him what happened and asked if they could repair it for me. He said I was welcome to stop by, but to fix it, they would have to replace the entire switch unit - which - of course, they did not have in stock.

So, I rode the next 1900 miles or so with a very sore wrist and numb right hand most of the time. I did add one of those lever things, but since the grips on the GT are so thin, it slipped and rotated around the grip and was not very effective.

Anyway, last night I looked at the electronic service manual I just paid through the nose for, and it shows how to remove the grips / switchgear.

After I ignored the warning to not open up the two halves of the switchgear,

"Any attempt to open the unit will result in damage to the printed circuits, which are lacquer-sealed.

The top and bottom parts of the switch unit are set in their relative positions by the manufacturer: do not attempt to separate the two parts of the switch."

I found that it is a fairly simple process to fix it.

I loosened the left grip and twisted it around to the point where I could see the "works" behind the cruise on/off switch. Using a screwdriver, I held the works up tight to the housing and popped the on/off switch right back on! It's fine now.

Apparently, the dealer doesn't know that it's possible to fix but it is.

No other problems with the switch gear even going through excessive heavy rain.

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:09 am
Veteran

You may have found a new cottage industry fixing all these busted switches. Glad it worked out OK. Get yourself one of the velcro throttle rockers: http://www.throttlerocker.com/ they work much better than the older non velcro version. The old version would always loosen up and twist around but this newer one stays put for a whole day or more.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 8:53 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
You may have found a new cottage industry fixing all these busted switches. Glad it worked out OK. Get yourself one of the velcro throttle rockers: http://www.throttlerocker.com/ they work much better than the older non velcro version. The old version would always loosen up and twist around but this newer one stays put for a whole day or more.
I am just not willing to accept that these things cannot be fixed!

The demo bike at the dealer is sitting there with the cruise control on/off switch missing just like mine was so this is going to be a common problem. It's actually a stupid design and much lighter weight than the same switch on an RT - for example.

Thanks for the tip on the throttle rocker. I'm hoping that I won't need it.

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
in my experience the older style that clip around the grip and are held on by pressure work better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode