How to "Shim" stepper motor? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

N/m

Thanks.

Last edited by hdtogt; Jul 24th, 2009 at 9:18 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 9:35 pm
Veteran

It is Part # 2 on the backside of the throttle body unit.

I think I used some 1/2" long nylon spacers from the hardware store and a couple of M5x25 length screws on mine. You need to remove the gas tank to get to it. Be careful not to drop the screws too many times as they can get lost!

Fwiw, I would not recommend changing the female plastic (Delrin) quick-disconnect coupling on the gas tank (to a metal quick-disconnect) while in there either! I might change the male end on the hose to the fuel injector's distribution line to a metal one, but that's about it. The risk of the $500 plastic fuel-pump mounting plate cracking is too great to gamble on (It's sealed with some goop known only to BMW AG, probably flared a bit from heat and age by now and have small stress cracks forming - the consequences may be that the pipe-thread will be looser for the new one and may bottom out meaning it will leak!) <damhik either! >. The male end one is the one that could conceivably go wrong and leak (O-ring and glued fitting), but if it ain't broke or leaking I'd leave it alone! - unless you feel $500 is a gamble you'd like to make on a piece of plastic pipe thread that might be damaged by you, or just stressed from age. and my

The Power FRK is a cool add though and you can tuck it up forward and under the brace near the back of the battery bracket or gas tank brace. Fit's tight there with a bit of double-sided sticky tape. Just make sure the wires clear the cam and screw when the throttle is cranked wide open.

Mack
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 3:13 am
IBR# 366

I did this mod 10K miles ago and the bike definitely pulls much harder off the line. Hard enough to loft the front wheel without any effort. Like when coming off a stop in town, or when grabbing that tiny gap in traffic, or when accelerating out of a tight corner, or wherever, with little warning.

So I'm reversing it and going back to the stock position. I need a bike I can trust to ride hard, and having the front wheel loft very easily then get shut down by the ASC just isn't trustworthy. Or necessary.

So yes, the experiment worked as expected (much harder hit off the line) but I'm still pulling the plug. Or putting it back, as it were.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Jul 25th, 2009 at 11:34 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 6:26 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I did this mod 10K miles ago and the bike definitely pulls much harder off the line. Hard enough to loft the front wheel without any effort. Like when coming off a stop in town, or when grabbing that tiny gap in traffic, or when accelerating out of a tight corner, or wherever, with little warning.

So I'm reversing it and going back to the stock position. I need a bike I can trust to ride hard, and having the front wheel loft very easily then get shut down by the ASC just isn't trustworthy. Or necessary.

So yes, the experiment worked as expected (much harder hit off the line) but I'm still pulling the plug. Or putting it back, as it were.
Send me back those tiny pieces of tubing

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:19 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Send me back those tiny pieces of tubing
And the screws, of course.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 4:24 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
So I'm reversing it and going back to the stock position. I need a bike I can trust to ride hard, and having the front wheel loft very easily then get shut down by the ASC just isn't trustworthy.
Now! I know I am glad I don't have the ASC, it's kind of like another government mandate for your own good.

I think I just Gotta space it when we do the Power FRK and O2 sensor.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 7:18 pm
IBR# 366

No, I think it's more a matter of perspective, and preference. I believe that any time a wheel breaks traction on the street (whether through over braking, power sliding, wheelies, or stoppies) then you've already failed. It may be "fun" for some folks, but to me it's a waste of energy and actually slows a rider down. Note that doesn't imply that I can't do any of those things, just that I choose not to.

So you can wheelie and power slide all you want, but while you're doing that I'm simply gonna sneak by on the inside and get on down the road. And watch for the inevitable crash in my mirrors, or later on YouTube . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:46 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840
Now! I know I am glad I don't have the ASC, it's kind of like another government mandate for your own good.

I think I just Gotta space it when we do the Power FRK and O2 sensor.
I have ASC, and it isn't like that. You can disable it any time you want by pressing the ASC switch. (Yes, it does reset itself the next time you start the engine.)

As an example of what it does, ASC prevented a rear wheel slip after an aggressive launch at an intersection. There was a shallow dip on the near side, which looked like dirt, but was really a dry crust over a thin layer of slippery mud. I felt the rear wheel lose traction in the mud as I accelerated over the dip. The ASC kicked in. In that case, I wasn't in any real danger, but it was nice to know that the ASC worked. The ASC light flickered for an instant. It was over before it started.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 1:20 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
The ASC light flickered for an instant. It was over before it started.
Yep, no fuss, no muss, no drama. I figure its like ABS - 99% of the time it sits there and does nothing, then when you need it, it simply does its job.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 4:34 pm

I must be dumb

Sorry guys,
I have been reading this post for the third time, and you must be writing this post in some secret code, I have no clue what this is about. Why would someone want to shim the stepper motor ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode