K12GT Down in Buffalo Nead Dealer Advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 4:51 pm Thread Starter
Addict

K12GT Down in Buffalo Nead Dealer Advice

Crashed the 08 GT in pouring rain Saturday evening between Buffalo and Rochester. I was wearing all the gear and it all did its job. Main injury is to right leg as that's the side that hit. Slid over some asphalt on the side panel and rear bag case, knocked a footpeg loose.Went to see it today after release from Hospital (great help at the Regional Hospital there), and while it ran and didn't look too bad except for the cosmetics There was steam coming from the exhaust. At first I though it was oil burning off from lying on its side, but once that cleared there was a distinct steam smell and vapor from the exhaust exit. Needless to say I didn't try to ride it home. So now I need a BMW dealer recommendation for that part of the world. All I found online was Country Rode Moterwerks in Firport NY which is near Rochester NY. Any advice appreciated, as my next step is to call BMW Roadside Resistance for the tow to the dealer and to Progressive Insurance.

HAppy to be alive considering the speed (65) and heavy traffic and weather and all. Once again the BMW gear worked as intended and looks to be trashed pretty well.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 7:20 pm
IBR# 366

I can't give you any local advice, but bummer about the crash. The bike can be fixed or replaced, but I'm glad your gear worked as intended.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 7:50 pm
Addict-oholic

Call BMW roadside assistance as your bike is still under warranty and you have a 3 year roadside assistance policy. 1-877-680-2176. Have your VIN # on the registration.
Good luck...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Glad to hear you are ok, my wife and I just went through a similar experience 1300mi. from home. The main thing is you are OK, the rest can all be repaired.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 7:25 am
Addict

Call Max BMW see if he will come pick you up that far away, good luck glad your OK
NY Store Service:
Tony Beatty
Service Manager
518-279-3040 ext. 209
[email protected]

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:22 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks, 280 miles may be a bit of a long pick up. Nearest BMW dealer is in Fairport (Rochester, NY). Will be talking with Progressive and BMW Roadside today. Will advise. Thanks.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 2:29 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Just an update. BMW RoadSide Assist took the bike to Country Rode Motorwerks in Fairport, NY (Near Rochester, NY) and they will do the post mortum). They've already reported both wheel rims are bent and fork damage, on top of the right side panels, side case and assorted little bits I saw Sunday. My guess is these all add up to a pretty big $$ number, and I was seeing some engine smoke when I tried to start it. It's a 2008, so I wonder when it tips from fix it to replace it? Will advise.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Just an update. BMW RoadSide Assist took the bike to Country Rode Motorwerks in Fairport, NY (Near Rochester, NY) and they will do the post mortum). They've already reported both wheel rims are bent and fork damage, on top of the right side panels, side case and assorted little bits I saw Sunday. My guess is these all add up to a pretty big $$ number, and I was seeing some engine smoke when I tried to start it. It's a 2008, so I wonder when it tips from fix it to replace it? Will advise.
I am insurance adjuster for another insurance company. If I was the adjuster and there was as much damage as you are describing. The bike will most likely be a total loss.I can not speak for the adjuster looking at your bike. Just what I would do.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:00 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdirt
I am insurance adjuster for another insurance company. If I was the adjuster and there was as much damage as you are describing. The bike will most likely be a total loss.I can not speak for the adjuster looking at your bike. Just what I would do.
So far Progressive adjuster and Country Rode MotorWerks (Fairport NY), are doing a great and timely job of inspecting and totaling up the crash damage. The bike went down at highway speed and slid on its right side for a good distance, with my leg under it. Obviously all the tupperware on that side ($$$$), saddle bag ($$), muffler ($1800!), two rims dented ($$$ each), front fork damage $!$!) and the top case ($800-$900) flew off and sailed down the road getting banged up but stayed closed and protected my clothes, as did the side case that held all my electronic gadgets undamaged. Those lids are tough.

All this is getting up in the $$$ levels that are close to where they will consider it a total, should know tomorrow or soon. My helmet Arai Signet, was damaged, but my BMW riding gear just needed a good cleaning, no damage, tough stuff!

I have a lot of farkles that survived, and I will be able to either reattach everything or remove the wiring and mounts for a move to a replacement. The Aeroflow windscreen side deflector cracked on the damage side.

On the replacement front, if that's where it goes, I guess my choices will be to get a used K1200GT (mine was a 2008 with 11,000 miles) or a new K13GT. Getting late enough in the season it may pay to wait for 2010 production unit, but I don't want to miss any more of the season than I have to assuming my leg responds to physical therapy, so maybe a late production 09/leftover will do.

Trying to keep a good attitude on this but just falling down in the rain has me in that doubting my skill phase of post crash trauma. Watching MotoGP is keeping me psyched up though.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:45 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
...I guess my choices will be to get a used K1200GT (mine was a 2008 with 11,000 miles) a new K13GT. Getting late enough in the season it may pay to wait for 2010 production unit, but I don't want to miss any more of the season than I have to assuming my leg responds to physical therapy, so maybe a late production 09/leftover will do.
With all the fueling, stalling, and switch issues of the current 2009 K1300GT's, I'd wait and waddle through the physical therapy stuff first and then "maybe" get a 2010 spring-time one, but only if BMW gets the issues ironed out by then. The '09's are sort of a funky "Will it start? Or will it die?" lot. My lawnmower can do better in both aspects (Honda ).

As one old-time BMW car and bike mechanic of 25 years told me: "Don't ever buy their first generation run of anything!" <-- like that affects me!

Good luck on the bike's insurance outcome and God's speed on the healing.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode